t h i r t y - n i n e ↣ fair

┌───────────────────┐

└───────────────────┘

M E G A N

It's been three thousand, four hundred and thirty three days, give or take, since that day in the woods. The day that changed everything. That's nearly nine and a half years, in which every single day of, I've thought of him.

Counting the days is how I cope. It's silly, but it keeps time connected, like although my existence has almost completely changed, I used to—at one point, in time—be in love, and that's all that matters. The simple pleasure that I was ever even given that chance.

At first it was consuming.

My days and nights were filled with the grief, sadness, and mourning of my other half. Then it eventually became easier, a few years after I relocated to Hilltop.

I'd spent most of my life bouncing around from place to place. What started as the common pattern of the relocation of a foster child, spiraled into a lifelong struggle, which led to me leaving Alexandria, the only home I'd ever truly known. But I needed to be somewhere new, where I wasn't constantly bombarded with memories and reminders of what I'd lost.

After a while, the thoughts that used to constrict me eventually dwindled into unexpected moments, in which I'd be caught off guard with my own reminiscing, once or twice a day. Although I haven't skipped a single day in my remembrance of the boy, it's been an uphill battle to get to where I am, right now.

"I stand before you today, at the start of a new tomorrow!" King Ezekiel's gruff, distinguished voice projects, as the man towers over a crowd of several different communities of people. The balcony that overlooks the theater is where he stands, to make his speech.

It's taken quite some time, but he finally managed to bring these groups of people together, to a celebration at the Kingdom. Most of us have laughed at his efforts, but—as I stand within the sea of people—I've got to hand it to the man.

"A tomorrow made possible by the sacrifices of many over the years."

Although quite theatrical, his corny words do, somehow, take a toll on my emotions. A sentimental feeling that I have to quickly stifle down, due to the crowd of people around me.

After however many years, we are all lucky to be standing here, today. I am quite lucky. Others—not quite as much. Others that would've loved to have been standing here, enjoying this moment, right next to me.