t h i r t y - t w o ↣ last words

┌───────────────────┐

└───────────────────┘

C A R L

"I need to see Maggie." Enid glares down at me and Megan, after we caught her in the act. "I'll be fine."

We first discovered the runaway girl as Megan was trying to sneak me out of her house, without her new downstairs roommate, Olivia, noticing. Mission accomplished.

When we looked through the window and saw Enid scaling the back wall, I wanted nothing to do with it. I couldn't care less about where she's going or what she's doing.

But Megan—of course—insisted that we snoop.

"You shouldn't go that far by yourself." Megan starts, projecting her voice upward. "It's too dangerous and I don't want you out there, all alone."

I haven't talked to Enid since she—surprisingly—approached me one day, and asked about how I was doing with my recovery. Because I thought that she was going to relay the information straight to Megan, I gave the girl a genuine answer.

But I figured out that I'd flattered myself with the delusion, when Megan told me that Enid actually refused to tell her how I was.

"What are you going to do?" Enid scoffs. "Lock me in the closet again?" The girl's eyes shoot daggers down at the girl next to me.

After a few moments of an intense glare, the girl returns to face the wall, continuing to stick her pegs in the supports. She climbs a few more pegs up the wall, before Megan finds it in herself to speak.

"I'm not sorry that I did it, you know." Megan remarks, cocking her head to the side. "Saving you from it."

"That's what happened in the armory?" Enid asks. "You saved me?"

"Yeah."

"You made it back in one piece." The girl continues to climb. "You're still here."

Megan shakes her head. "I'm not talking about that."

Enid looks down for a moment, before briefly glancing down at the two of us. "I'm sorry you guys had to see it."

I'm not.

"Well, I'm not sorry that you didn't." Megan retorts. I feel the girl's shoulders tense from right beside mine, as she shakes her head. "You can't stay mad at me, forever."