Seventeen

I woke up to a text message from Patty urging me to check the news. The least expected way to start my Saturday morning, I'd say. I read the text message over a few times, struggling to register it through my sleep-driven haze as I staggered out of my room. The stench of my mother's cooking engulfed my nose as I inhaled, trailing from the kitchen to the upstairs hallway.

I followed it downstairs where I could see her moving around the kitchen when I stopped near the living room entrance. Junior was sprawled out on the couch, the remote lying at his feet, and the morning cartoons he watched ritually playing on the TV. He didn't notice me approaching until the TV flicked to the daily news channel.

"Hey!" Junior sat up, glaring at me.

"I'm sorry bud, I just need to see something. I'll give it back in a second," I said, wincing as he fought me for the remote while I held him back.

"You have your own TV!" he argued.

"So do you," I scoffed.

"Boys, do I need to separate you two?" my mother yelled.

"No!" I covered Junior's mouth and restrained him. But my face scrunched in disgust when he ran his tongue over my palm. A wicked smile clung to his face when I released him and scowled. Then, he was off.

"Mommy, Tyler's bothering me!" That little snitch.

"Today, the first arrest has been made in the Emerald Lynn case. Cecilia Ramirez was picked up from her home early this morning after police found reason to believe Cecilia was stalking the victim and the victim's mother." The news anchor's voice distracted me from Junior.

"Cecilia?" I didn't realize I gasped until her name left my mouth. Stalking? I thought back to the figure dressed in dark clothing watching Emerald and Iris argue on the porch, from the vision her bracelet gave me. Was that her? No, it couldn't be. Why would she want to stalk them?

"The suspect is in police custody and charges have not yet been made—"

"Tyler, give the TV back to your brother."

I groaned and turned my head. My mother blocked the living room entrance, her hands on her hips, and a stern look on her face. She raised an eyebrow at the TV expectedly, then me.

"I said I was going to give it back!"

"Now," she said, leaving no room for complaints. Junior stuck his tongue out when I reluctantly threw the remote to him. I pounded my fist into my palm, indicating he'd get a serious beating later when we were alone. That didn't faze him, however, since our mother was still in the room. He should've known she wouldn't be there to protect him all day though.

My mother nodded to me. "Breakfast is almost ready. Come help me set the table."

"Actually, I—" She narrowed her eyes, warning me there'd be no negotiation or back talk. So, I shut my mouth as fast as it opened.

"It's too early for you and your brother's shenanigans," it sounded like she muttered under her breath, whilst retreating back into the kitchen. I was hot on her trail, dragging my feet behind me.

"Is something special going on today that I don't know of?" I grabbed a few plates, cups, and silverware from the cabinets, gesturing to the buffet-styled breakfast on the stove. There were biscuits, waffles, eggs, sausages, grits, and fruit. Damn, she went all out.

"No. I just felt like cooking for you guys." She shrugged. "It's been a while since I cooked a big breakfast on the weekends. That's not a crime, is it?"

"No, I was just asking. . ." I said, clearing my throat. She nodded and hummed a tune to herself. She was in a good mood. For what, I was afraid to ask. It could've had to do with us, our father, or the custody battle, but I didn't want to press on and sour the mood. So, I let her be.