「a viper bite」

Valeria could hear the rain only faintly from inside the crow club, tucked under Jesper's arm as he gambled away. Every so often she would glance at another pair of cards or whisper something or other about one of the players to make them nervous. They were a good team in that respect. She herself never played, she liked to keep her money unlike Jesper.

But they weren't here to gamble tonight.

Under the faint light of the chandeliers she winked at the bar maid who brought over her drink of choice, cherry kvas. Jesper once teased her on the fruity drink but all she did was slide it to him with a daring look. He knocked it back and for the next hour was found in his room with his tongue under the tap. The bar maid renamed it viper poison the next day.

As the bar maid went to leave, a tall bearded man called out to her for drinks all round and Valeria returned to the game, watching the coin carefully. He was using Zemini coin. She leaned into Jesper and the two made eye contact knowingly.

"Let me see that." The hand that was behind Valeria shot up and grabbed the coin that was tossed over. He removed his arm and leaned forward as she remained relaxed.

"The lucky nine casino up the block has been having trouble with counterfeit coin lately." Jesper said, leaving a space for Valeria to speak.

"Heavy," Valeria said, then looked up at the bearded man. "But brittle."

"Quite right, love." Jesper said, tossing the coin back to her for inspection as she mockingly tutted the now exasperated bearded gambler.

"Oh, come on now, I've been here for hours." The gambler said, but his voice slurred as he knew he had been caught. "My money is good, no?"

"Zemini coin can take a bullet but the knock off..." Jesper trailed off, winking as Valeria flipped the coin into the air above the table as Jesper whipped out his gun and made a clean shot as everyone other than Valeria went to protect their ugly mugs.

"Busted." She said melodically as she stood and nodded for some other dregs to escort the now whining man from the club. Jesper turned grinned at her and she rolled her eyes when she realised what he was about to do.

He lunged for the money but not before an infamous cane prevented him from doing so.

Kaz Brekker shook his head at him, as though he were scolding a child.

"No loud noises at the table Jesper, you'll scare off the pigeons." Jesper practically shook in his seat and Valeria smiled lightly at the interaction.

"Why are you scolding me and not Val, boss." Jesper said, ignoring the jab at his side from Valeria and Kaz's eyes flicked to her.

"Shouldn't you be on the door?" Kaz said exasperatedly, not taking his eyes off Valeria as the two challenged one another to look away.

"Yeah, right away boss." Jesper mumbled as he went to pull Valeria with him before Kaz used his cane to swat Jesper's hand off of the zemini girl.

"Val's coming with me." Kaz said, tossing his cane into the other hand then it to nudge her along.

They made it only a few steps before Rotty caught up with them, to which Kaz's gaze only flickered momentarily to him, but he didn't stop.

"What do you want Rotty?" Kaz said, his cane still resting on Valeria's calf as she lead the way.

"Someone stole a DeKappel from a mercy's private residence last night." Rotty said, practically salivating. "It's a painting. A landscape of old Ravka. The Fold, oil on parchment."

Valeria nearly sighed in aggravation. Was art a literal lost art?

"I know who DeKappel is." Kaz said, his hand tightening on his cane. Valeria knew he did. DeKappel was one of Kaz's favourites.