「bird caught in the wind」

The tavern was not as dark as the crow club and the smell of Volcra blood that seemed to cling to their clothes was not a huge comfort to the four teenagers who sat nursing their respective drinks. The adrenaline had worn off and Valeria rested her head on her arms at their table, not even touching her cherry flavoured drink but still her fingers inched towards her blades at every movement the Ravkan's made around her. It was a new country where she did not know the terrain or the people. She was not used to not knowing these things.

Jesper's ever untamed hair seemed as though it wanted to jump from his head as he broke the silence that comes with nearly dying.

"So..." He said, nodding to himself. "That went well."

Valeria had a clear memory of the screaming and shrieking, the pure utter terror and all that came with the train ride but just shook it off. That must be the hardest part of the job, she hoped. Everyone else seemed to want to forget the whole experience as they moved swiftly on.

"The Little Palace winter fete." Arken said, setting his glass down as he read over a sheet of paper. "There's just no way he can find a way to the sun summoner without Nina's help. Especially during this ridiculous party. The place will be crawling with second army."

"We're in luck." Kaz said, appearing behind Valeria. His hat was missing and hair was co operating about as much as Jespers. "There's a good chance we can crack on now that we're three days' travel from the capital, the next play is finding a way inside the Little Palace."

The idea of travel made Valeria want to toss herself into the fire that the circus people were throwing about haphazardly at the back or the pub. She pushed down a groan and just snapped a pastry from Inej's plate to stifle her unwillingness.

"It turns out the Kribirsk archives the Little Palace blueprints. But they're kept under lock and key." Kaz said, glancing at Valeria with a small grin and suddenly she was more excited for this part of the job. 'Far from the prying eyes of the masses..."

Jesper threw his fist down on the table and made an excited sound while Valeria sat upright, her eyes brightening considerably. Inej even let a small smile slip.

"What does that mean?" Arken asked, surveying the rag tag group. His anxiety had obviously returned and if what they were about to do was anything close to what they just did he'd rather go back and be eaten by the Volcra.

"Time for a heist." Valeria said with renewed vigour as Jesper slapped Arken's shoulder. Valeria grinned at Inej who smiled back, her eyes glinting. This would be fun.

"But," Kaz said, looking between the Sharp shooter and his Viper. "We have to leave the goat."

The mood dampened considerably at that. Jesper and Valeria, being the melodramatic people they were, said their goodbyes. Jesper strung a piece of string with a bullet as it's centre piece on the goats furry throat as Valeria scratched its head.

"I'll leave you this bullet to remember me by." Jesper said as Kaz rolled his eyes. "Let's promise to never forget each other Milo."

"Hey and me," Valeria but in. "I gave him the bloody name."

"But he loves me more."

"Lies." Val hissed making the woman that held Milo give the two a worried glance. The woman seemed to try to get help from Dirty Hands but he refused to look at the goats farewell party in a slim hope to keep his head on right unlike the other two crows.

Valeria felt Arken's eyes on them and immediately left Jesper to say the rest of his goodbyes and take her place beside Kaz who looked down at her with a raised eye brow. She gestured to Arken with her own eye brow raised and the corners of his lips raised slightly at her before pushing off the bar and turning to the conductor.