Chapter 1.2 - The Beating

They arrived at college five minutes early, a rare occurrence as they were usually five minutes late, even on good days. Just as they entered the hall, the bell chimed, signaling the start of their first class. Jake sighed, realizing it was time for BTEC Sports, the subject he had chosen to study. Although he claimed to like sports when asked why he chose the subject, the truth was, Jake despised them. Liam, on the other hand, loved sports and insisted on being in the same class as his best friend, or so he convinced himself.

"Sports first," Liam exclaimed eagerly, already dressed in his sports gear, as they made their way to class. Jake couldn't understand how Liam could be so enthusiastic about sports at nine-thirty in the morning when all he wanted was coffee and sleep.

"You ready to work those non-existent muscles, bro?" Liam teased, smirking as they took the longer route to class, which Jake appreciated as he preferred arriving later.

"Yeah, like you've got muscles," Jake retorted before they stepped inside the sports hall just in time for the lecture.

The coach's militant instructions reverberated across the expansive space. "Okay! The big match is soon. We're playing Bournville College. You know the rules. We need to win. Over the next few weeks, I'll be trying out different formations, seeing who works best where," the coach bellowed, cutting through the idle chatter of teenagers discussing their weekend plans.

As the coach continued to speak, Jake tuned him out, reminiscing about his early days playing football. He couldn't recall much; he was only five years old. However, he clung to that memory as it was the last time he saw his dad before drugs consumed him. It began with weed and ended with a fatal heroin addiction. Jake's father died of an overdose, a fact that haunted Jake, lurking in his subconscious until it surfaced during moments of deep reflection.

Trying to push aside thoughts of his father, Jake recalled the sunny day spent playing football with his dad and Liam. After watching a game on television, they played outside all day, filled with laughter and joy. "Are we ready then lads? Let's go," the coach's loud voice snapped Jake out of his reverie, and he followed his teammates onto the makeshift pitch outside.

During the game, the coach shouted various strategies and formations, hoping to find the winning combination. "Defensive manoeuvre! Hunker down on the right side!" he bellowed. Jake furrowed his brow, unable to comprehend how anyone could enjoy this environment.

An hour passed in a blur, and as the class finally ended, Jake felt a wave of relief wash over him. He was glad it was over, one class down and only three more to go. His craving for coffee grew more intense with each passing minute, his hands freezing from the prolonged exposure to the cold. Rubbing them together and exhaling warm breaths, he muttered to Liam as they walked into the outbuilding to change, "It's freezing out here. I'm done with this."

"Come off it! You're just a fucking lightweight and can't handle it." Liam shouted back before stripping out of his freezing sports clothing and changing into the clean ones that Jake's mum had washed for him because they hadn't had a washing machine for three years now.

Reflecting, Liam struggled to recall the last time he had anything of his own. Even hot water had become a luxury, now turned frigid. He relied on Cathy for showers, clean clothes, and sometimes even food. These were basic necessities his father should have provided, but he was too often drunk or high to care. In his father's eyes, Liam was only good for dealing drugs, yet even that earned complaints. Ironically, Liam had a happy childhood until his mother's passing when he was eight. His father, unable to cope, blamed and resented Liam for surviving while his wife did not.

The day she died, a sunny afternoon turned tragic as she collided head-on while fetching Liam from school. Her death left Liam feeling as if he'd lost both parents at once. The toll of these memories echoed in his mind as the bell rang, snapping him back to the present.