Chapter 6 - The Backlash

As match day approached, Jake felt the nerves in the pit of his stomach. He didn't know why it's not like he wanted to be a professional, this was just a friendly match between two colleges in his eyes.

Anticipation and fear of not being good enough on the field was scaring Jake, he just wanted to be perfect ( or at least his idealistic view of perfection ).

" What is wrong with you? " came the startling voice as he looked around, realising that he hadn't even gone inside yet that he was still outside, and Liam had approached him. " Please tell me you're not still worried about this football match ? " he asked leaning against the railing.

" Worried " Jake huffed before laughing " I'm fucking terrified mate." He then adds as he pulls at his fingernails with his teeth trying to calm the nerves.

" Dude it's not for 3 weeks, and if you're that worried let's go have a kick about in the park." Liam smiled as he turned to face Jake " it's either that or you wallow in self doubt until the day comes, and then you have an anxiety attack." Liam adds being harsh but honest.

" Alright you're on, just don't expect me to go easy on you, I plan on beating you big time." Jake grinned before running inside as he looked in the mirror, noticing how pale his face looked, Jake finally realised how much he wanted to win this game, but it wasn't just the game he wanted to win, he wanted to win Liam, he knew the score he knew Liam was straight, and would never be interested in Jake and that is what was killing him the most.

A few minutes later Jake ran back outside in football shorts, and his Sports Direct football boots

"Okay Matthews lets go!" he gave a nod before running down the steps two at a time.

The stroll towards the park was quiet, the only noise being the birds whistling and the breeze from the weather.

"So, lets do this. " Jake smiled as he kicked the ball that was resting in his hand to Liam, who placed it on the ground before shooting it up in the air, Jake ran after it shooting it to the other side of the fake pitch they had made using there jackets, "fuck that's it" Jake smiled jumping up and down.

"Fuck you, that wasn't fair!" Liam whistles playfully before nudging Jake.

"Life isn't fair bitch" Jake commented as he nudged Liam back feeling the wind as Liam fell to the ground. " Shit man I'm sorry" he apologised as he helped him, up his hand gripping his as he felt Liam pull him down, Jake now next to Liam on the floor.

" Hey, that wasn't fair." Jake bellowed as he turned to face Liam before pouting on the floor.

"In your own words, life isn't fair, bitch!" Liam lifted his feet. Pushing off his wrist he sat up, surveying what seemed to be acres of fresh green grass.

As Jake looked to his left seeing Liam, he finally studied his features for the first time in forever, noticing the way even though his teeth weren't straight he still had a perfect smile, or how bright his blue eyes were.

"What are you looking at? " Liam asked as he pulled some grass from their roots, slowly twisting it between his fingers, awaiting a reply.

Struggling to find an answer, as he felt the weather taking a turn for the worst as the rain slowly started pouring down. ' saved by the rain ' Jake thought softly before standing, "let's go over to the shed to get shelter" he pointed to the shed on the left that was slowly falling apart as Liam followed him.

Once in the shelter Jake shivered " damn that was fast it was sunny earlier. " he commented as Liam laughed. " I think Jesus needed a piss bruv." Jake looked up watching the clouds turning a darker black. " well it better be a fast fucking piss because I want to get home." he admitted as he slid his hand in his shorts pocket, his legs freezing, and wet " fuck sake just my luck." he gave a disgruntled cry, angry with the weather but happy to get out of the conversation he was previously having with Liam.