Chapter 3 - Jealousy

"There's a party tomorrow night at Andrew's, you coming?" The walk to town was long, and it was a while before Liam spoke and mentioned the dreaded end of year party. Liam knew Jake hated the parties but could never understand why. Every time there was a party, Jake had all the girls over him, who wouldn't want that? Shockingly, every time, Jake knocked them back, always coming up with excuses as to why he couldn't go upstairs with them.

"Nah, I don't know man, you know I'm not really into that sorta thing, plus you know it's just an excuse for teenagers to fuck, don't you?" was Jake's only reply. The quietness was pleasing, the only sound coming from the rain pelting on Jake's Superdry coat. It was meant to be summer. You wouldn't think it with the weather they were having. Jake knew it wouldn't last long. Liam was going to try and convince him to go to the party. It's what Liam did if he didn't get his own way, what he had always done.

"Man, we deserve this, we've survived. This is our party, end of year man, no more exams, and who cares if it's just a fuckfest of adolescent teens?." Liam replied, his voice imitating one of a child who'd had way too much sugar in their system. It was so energetic.Jake couldn't help but smile, snickering to himself as he watched Liam and his frantic hand motions to express his point.

Finally reaching town, the Bullring was packed with everyone shopping. What did he expect for a Saturday morning? The market was just as busy with everyone selling half price fruit. "Man! Please! Do I really have to come? You know I hate these things." He admitted wanting to be completely honest, not that Liam ever listened to him. He had been nagging away at him, breaking away layers of his resolve. What Liam wanted, Liam usually got. Even if Jake didn't want to go to the party, he was going. Liam hunted the market for something to wear for the upcoming party, something within his £20 price range that didn't look cheap, something that seemed stylish.

"Come on, you'll love it. Now, to find something for you to wear too." he stated, on the assumption Jake was going to say yes, eventually. He snickered, looking at the puzzled expression stretching across Jake's face before continuing to look through the sale racks. "What about this?" he asked, pulling out a black button up shirt with red buttons.

"That actually looks nice. It would suit you." Jake commented, scanning up and down the black shirt, picking out a red shirt for himself and tight black jeans that he'd wear with his black Adidas trainers. He was considering praying to some imaginable force in the sky, hoping the party would go by fast. Paying for the clothing he'd picked up, Liam exclaimed with a cheery tone in his voice "We're going to have so much fun!" A smile had stretched across his face from ear to ear.

"You always say that then you leave me to neck on with some girl. I'm amazed you don't have 30 kids." Jake replied, his voice dripping with sarcasm. As he spoke his words held jealousy, not that Liam would pick up on that.

"I probably do have kids. I just don't know about them. It wouldn't surprise me that's for sure." Liam answered back proudly, like his sexual conquests never bothered him. Jake didn't know how to reply, didn't know if he wanted to answer. If he was honest with himself, the thought of his best friend having children he didn't know about made him feel queasy and gave him a tight knot in his stomach. Jake wasn't naive and knew Liam wasn't careful with contraception methods. He probably didn't even know what a condom was, but Jake hoped that if Liam did have kids, he'd step up to the mark and be a father.

"So where next?" Jake asked, changing the subject, not wanting to think about the endless thoughts that were running through his mind.

"McDonald's. I'm starved." Liam replied as a grumble sounded from his gut. Quickly changing direction to the stairs in the direction of the nearest branch, he headed to get his fill off chicken nuggets.