001.

──── chapter one

{ ☀️ }  · fuck no!

{ ☀️ }  · fuck no! . ݁ ٬٬ ࣪

WAKING UP in the Apollo Cabin for the last six years felt right at home.

At first glance, it looks like an ordinary cabin, but when hit by sunlight at the right angle, it looks as if it's made of solid gold, and gleams so much that it is difficult to look at. Inside, there are bunk beds and twin sized beds on either side with a cot in the middle of the cabin for the injured. Rough cedar beams rib the ceiling and the white plaster walls are bare except for a few hooks for coats and weapons. It smelled of clean linen and dried sage. With many paintings hang on the wall and vinyls laying scattered around the room, flower pots on the windowsill, filled with cheerful yellow blooms from the island of Delos. They only grow in and around the cabin.

It was her home, and she loved every little detail about it.

Sitting on her bed in the corner of the cabin ( she didn't mind, in fact, Madeline was glad it was in the corner as she liked to sleep facing the wall ) with mirror in one hand and pink lip-gloss in other, the daughter of Apollo was the only one awake at this time. Unfortunately, she had agreed to swap places with her brother, Austin Lake, to teach unexperienced half-bloods archery. Being one of the best ( "You are the best." a voice of her best friend, Endora Prince, rang though her mind, "Who shot that giant straight into heart?" ) had it's cons. And that was teaching. She didn't really know how to teach, it just wasn't her thing.

It was not her type of morning to wake up early and get started with the day right away ─ no, Madeline liked everything to go calmly and smoothly, at its own pace. She never rushed things nor did she liked to be rushed.

With a pop of her lips, the girl looked at her reflection in the mirror. The girl loved doing her make-up, taking time picking out and planning her outfit of the day and doing everything that would make her feel good. Self care is the best care, Aphrodite once told her when the goddess approached her on Olympus after the war this summer; and Madeline couldn't agree more.

But the war affected everyone. There was still an empty bed close to the doors ─ one that belonged to her brother, Michael Yew, former counselor of their cabin and one of the people Madeline was close to. Despite their bickering from time to time, the two genially cared for each other like all siblings do. But Madeline was not ready to become the new counselor in the middle of the war. 

They were gone. She kept reminding herself. They were gone. They are at better place. But Madeline wanted them back. She wanted her brothers back.

Yet she couldn't have that.  

Putting on finishing touches, Madeline looked at the full-size mirror that occupied the changing room in the cabin. The girl looked down at her outfit. She didn't really wear her Camp t-shirt, only when she needed to. A cropped green cardigan and wide bottom jean with her freshly washed convers on her feet ─ a comfortable outfit; nothing else needed. Madeline could hear the cabin members waking up and that's when she decided she should probably get on with the training. Making sure her sun earrings were on, as well as her choker necklace, Madeline left the Apollo cabin after wishing good morning to a grumpy looking Gracie.