Enemies Invade

You were in the study room working on the outline of your new novel when you suddenly heard your husband and your daughter having a stand off.

"Noooo waayyy! Anya hates studying!"

You paused, tilting your head as the sound of her voice carried over the whole apartment.

"I need to know how smart you are in preparation for the exam." That was Loid.

"Anya doesn't have to study for the exam!" she argued, "Anya can just read other people's-" she stopped.

You sighed and stood from the seat to make your way to the living room. Knowing Anya's temperance, this would take a while and there was no way you'd be able to continue working with the two of them causing such a racket.

"Are you planning to cheat then?" he asked. "Look, if you're not going into that school, my-" he trailed off. The whole apartment went quiet again.

"Are two done arguing?" The two of them turned to see you finally coming out of the study room.

Immediately, Loid stopped. As he looked at you, his expression turned guilty. "I'm sorry, hon. Are we making too much noise?"

You waved his question away and instead asked, "And what's this exam you're talking about? We didn't discuss anything about Anya going to school so soon."

"Eden Academy will be open for enrollment next week," he informed you offhandedly, "I just want her to prepared for the entrance exam before it comes."

"You want her to attend Eden?" you asked, surprised.

"Of course, Eden Academy is famous for the quality of their education. Naturally, as her father, I would want the very best of her," he said.

You blinked at him before the two of you faced your daughter who was now visibly pouting.

Seeing how stubborn she was, Loid heaved a sigh in defeat.

"Forget it." He moved towards the door as he started putting on his coat.

Your eyebrows furrowed. "Where are you going?"

"I'm heading out to retrieve a few things at work. I'll be back shortly." Putting on his hat, he pointed a finger on Anya, "And before you ask, no. I'm not taking you with me today. At all. So stay put." And with a quick kiss to your cheek, he left.

"Anya, sweetie," you called before the girl could follow your husband outside the door, "Why don't you join Mama in the living room to watch TV, hmm?"

Anya brightened. "'kay!"

.

You didn't mean to fall asleep while watching a movie. Perhaps it was because the movie was too exaggerated and dramatic to your tastes, but still. You really should've known better.

Because of your inattentiveness, you failed to watch over your curious and impressionable daughter to roam around the apartment by herself until she eventually found her way to your shared bedroom and messed with your husband's equipment.

So really, you only have yourself to blame when some strange men came to invade your home. And the moment you realized what was happening, it was already too late to react.

Should have told Loid to install some peephole on the door. was your last thoughts before finally losing consciousness.