The Kidnapping

It was to the sound of voices followed by something heavy hitting the floor that brought you back to the waking world. As you slowly opened your eyes and winced at the massive headache in your temple, you found yourself in a strange place surrounded by even more strange men, all of them unfamiliar to you.

Thankfully, they had yet to notice that you were awake, momentarily distracted by what seemed to be a dead body to look at your direction. Discreetly, you tried to move your body, only to discover that your hands and feet were all tied up. Helpless, you began scanning your surroundings instead, trying to make sense of where you were. An abandoned building. Probably a supermarket or something judging by the multiple shopping carts littering around the area.

Speaking of shopping carts, Anya was inside one, all gagged and tied up, and was now looking at you with tears on her eyes.

Anya.... Your heart immediately went out to her, no doubt that the poor girl was currently terrified out of her mind. You would be too once upon a time but you had been through this many times
before to be afraid or feel frightened. If anything, you were confused.

Because really, why in the world was this still happening to you? And for what purpose? Everyone knew you father was dead so it didn't make sense for this kind of thing to happen ever again. Was this the result of some lingering grudge? An attempt to exact their revenge on the closest kin of their enemy? Or perhaps they were after your family's money?

A kidnapping for ransom?

Whatever it was would remain a mystery since the man in the suit, clearly the mastermind of this kidnapping, began to speak.

"Transparency is critical in politic. A wig doesn't make for a good PR," he stated tonelessly as he lit up a cigarette, "Besides, the minister is a traitor who secretly sides with the west. Those who defend a traitor are traitors themselves."

What in the world are they talking about? you thought as you laid there on the ground in puzzelment.

You cried when a hand suddenly grabbed your arm to pull you in a sitting position.

"Boss, the woman's awake!" some lackey in the group reported.

Oh no. I should've played dead! Mentally cursing yourself at your stupidity, you stared wide-eyed when all of their attention immediately shifted to you.

The man in the suit swiftly crossed the distance towards you. Gripping your chin roughly, his narrowed eyes began to study your face for a few seconds before widening in recognition.

"Well, well, well... looks like we have a special guest today." said the man, smirking. "Who would have thought that Luther Ulbrich's daughter will be joining us today?" he continued.

The lackey who had grabbed you earlier startled. "Wait, Ulbrich? You mean the late chancellor?"

"Wait, what?'

"No way!"

As his men started whispering amongst themselves, the mob boss suddenly looked thoughtful despite the scowl you threw at him. "Hmm, now that I think about it. I heard Ulbrich's daughter is married."

Instantly, a nasty smile appeared on his lips.

"So that's what it is. Heh. To think Twilight has been hiding in the ranks of the elite all along."

You stared at him in puzzlement.

Twilight? Who's that?

You paused to ran over his words again. You felt yourself paling.

No way. This was about Loid?!

Meanwhile, the smirking leader had finally stepped away from you to address his men.