Wonderland {Chapter 5}

HAPPY PRIDE MONTH SMALL HUMANS ON MY PHONE!!!

Warnings: fighting, violence, blood

Word count: 1879

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Up-tempo Middle Eastern music plays on the other end of the boat. A bunch of people are having a party and most of them are extremely drunk. They seem fun.

The darkness of the night envelopes the river our boat, casting shadows in murky parts of the water. Neon lights from far away are the only form of light anywhere close. It makes it hard to see quite a bit.

"Amaris..." my father says, breaking me out of my trance. 

I look in his direction, "What?"

"How did you get suspended? Again," he says, looking a bit tired.

"Um. Well-" then Layla interrupts me.

"She got into a fight and if she gets into another one, she's getting held back, again. I want you to explain your Steven shit," she says, pissed expression on her face.

My dad just sits there for a second, unsure of how to respond, or word his reaction.

"Steven... is like a whole separate person? I'm uh, sure there's a word for it, considering there's a word for everything, but I don't know it," he mumbles.

Layla pauses, "We'll figure it out together..."

My dad changes the subject, "What exactly are we gonna do here? What's the plan?"

 "Oh. It's not pleasant being left in the dark, is it?" Layla responds in a petty way. 

"Okay. I get that you're not happy about me leaving so quickly and coming to Cairo. I understand," he sighs, looking at his hands that are resting on his knees.

"Wait. Is that your apology? That's good. That's really good," I tell him.

"Just so we can get through tonight, maybe let's just give our shit a rest for a moment and just try to strategize before we get to... Mogart's?" he says.

 "Mogart? Just so you know, I'm not here to help you. I'm here for me and for everyone else who would die if Harrow succeeds," Layla glares.

"I'm here because Layla made me. So, not for you," I add.

"Copy that," 

"Good,"

"I am sorry. For whatever that's worth. So, this Mogart guy. He's really gonna have his sarcophagus?"

"Yes. I asked around. Mogart's collection is prime gossip for those of us who deal in antiquities," 

The other group turns their music all the way up. Loud ululating echos across the river.

"I haven't heard that sound since..." my dad trails off.

"Since our wedding," Layla finished for him.

The ululating continues, bring me back to their wedding. It wasn't too long ago, seeing as I was only eight when it happened. It was definitely a beautiful day, and not many people came. My dad's parents didn't show up, but he didn't need them, he told me.

"You could've told me. You know? What's it's been like for you. About Steven," Layla says finally.

"For what it's worth, I had it under control until very recently," my dad sighs.

"What happened?" 

"Doesn't matter,"

"Kind of does," I say.