Indiana Jones {Chapter 7}

Word count: 2065

Warnings: guns, fighting, slight gore??? Emotional distress, mention of death of parent

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Marc?" Layla shakes him, trying to see if he'll wake up, "Steven. Wake up. Come on. Wake the hell up!"

We hear whispers in Arabic and Layla leads me quietly behind our car, leaving a passed out Steven laying face first into the sand. Layla grabs a few flares and I hold on to my cane.

The men have guns and scout the area for us, poking at Steven's limo body for a second before combing the sands near us.

Layla sneaks up on one, knocking him out silently with the flare. He has a piece on his leg. When Layla isn't looking, I grab it, hiding it from her view.

Quickly, Layla knocks out a few other guys, leaving the remaining few confused. Swiftly, we move in the dark without being noticed, despite my slight limp.

Eventually, she uses the flares to knock the rest out and she grabs Steven.

Later, once Steven was conscious again, Layla says, "We can't lose more time. Harrow must be headed back to the tomb. Look, if he is, we're gonna need Marc, yeah?"

"No, Steven says.

"No?" I echo.

"No. See, the thing is, we made a deal, Marc and I, that when he was done with Khonshu, he would disappear for good," he said, glancing off in other direction for a second.

"You guys made a deal? That he would just disappear from my life? And you didn't think that maybe I should've been made aware of that?" she scoffs.

"Why are we being kept out of decisions that affect our lives?" I ask.

"Oh. Well, hadn't he disappeared from your life already? Yeah. I mean, whatever. His suit was his best feature, wasn't it? Didn't even have that anymore," he rambled, looking away for another second.

 "Plus, I know him. He'd wanna lone wolf this whole thing. It's not happening," Layla says.

"We're not gonna do that,"

"We are not. It's just you and me, Amaris, and the open road. We're gonna go on foot from here. Yeah, all right," 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A bird squawks ominously above in the burning sky. We've arrived upon the tomb, but it's quiet. Everyone else must already be inside. All their stuff sits outside waiting for them.

"There they are," I point.

"Let's keep moving. It looks like they're already inside. We'll need to find another way to beat them to Ammit," Layla tells us.

Steven waves to a camel, "Hello."

"Let's check for supplies," Layla says, motioning is to follow her into the tents. Steven lingers behind a little, arguing with himself before he runs to catch up.

"I have to say, I feel like I've been waiting for this my whole life. The adventure, I mean," Layla says after a minute of silent preparation.

"I know," Steven responds.

"We want what we never had," 

"Yeah,"

"You smell like him," she says randomly.

"What?" I look at her, confused, practically throwing out my neck as I whip my head in her direction.

"I mean, why wouldn't you, right?" she chuckles for a second. They have a moment, staring into each other's eyes like newfound lovers. Disgusting in my opinion. Romance is so overrated.