Chapter 11

"What the hell happened here?"

Heather couldn't help herself. Walking through Hank's destroyed lab and with the man no where in sight to give an explanation, she had the right to wonder. They had all gathered outside of the lab earlier this morning, like Hank had requested the day before, but after no answer, they had decided to enter - and were met by a surprising sight. Tables, chair, vials - anything you could imagine, thrown and sprawled across the floor.

No answer for her question came, though she and Erik caught each other's gaze, the same look of bewilderment there. They carefully made their way through the room, stepping over broken glass and chunks of wood. In the back of the room, there was box labeled with a tape 'X' and Charles approached it cautiously, before opening it. 

"Hank has been busy," Erik commented, as everyone looked into the box - which was full of blue and highlighter yellow suit. Heather wrinkled her nose at the color, before Sean asked, "Do we really have to wear these?"

"As none of us are mutated to endure extreme G-force," Charles remarked nonchalantly, "Or being riddled by bullets, I suggest we suit up."

_____________________________________

Heather pulled at the uncomfortable collar of her suit. The whole thing was a little small for her and the fabric scratched her skin annoyingly, but it was better than nothing - even if they stood out like a sore thumb. Erik glanced sideways at her, an amused smirk on his face, and she stuck her tongue out at him.

They were currently standing in front of a large plane at some military base - one that Heather never really learned the name of - and waiting anxiously for Hank, who they seem hadn't located - even after they searched his room. "Where's Hank?" Raven asked, after what seemed like an hour of silence.

"I'm here."

The voice had surprised them all, and their heads all whipped around to see a large, approaching figure. "Hank?" Charles questioned, before his eyes widened. In fact, all of their eyes widened at that moment. Hank had changed. Like completely changed. His peach skin had been replaced like thick, unruly blue fur, his eyes were now a bright yellow and he had rather sharp looking fangs. He pushed his glasses up before looking down at his feet - almost in shame. 

"It didn't attack the cells. It enhanced them." And he added in a pained voice, "It didn't work." Raven reached out, placing a hand on his shoulder. "Yes, it did, Hank. Don't you see? This is who you were meant to be. This is you. No more hiding." Raven slowly took her hand away, as Hank glanced up at her, but Erik then replaced her hand by patting him on the back, saying, "You never looked better, man."

Hank suddenly reached out and grabbed Erik by his throat, lifting him off the ground. "Hank!" Heather cried out. She hadn't been expecting that, and she looked between the two in horror. "Don't mock me," he growled at Erik, his yellow eyes full of malice. "Hank, put him down immediately, please," Charles pleaded, nervousness in his tone, "Hank! Hank!"

Hank released his grip on Erik's throat, and the man fell, harsh gasps of air coming from him. Heather resisted the urge to kneel down beside him and made sure he was okay, instead gave him a little space to breath. Erik glared up at Hank, his face almost bright red. "I wasn't," he breathed out, before Alex spoke up. "Even I gotta admit, you look pretty bad-ass. I think I got a new name for you." Hank glanced at Alex, almost as if daring him to make fun of him now. "Beast." Hank let out a growl, but made no movement to choke Alex out.