Anywhere, Anytime

Anywhere, Anytime

"A new hospital, a new waste disposal plant, a new school..." Jacques was reading aloud as his eyes scanned down the parchment Manon had given him. It contained a summary of all the new building projects that she was starting.

"Why do we need a new school?" He asked, lifting his head.

Manon, looking over the expense reports for the hospital where she stood near her desk, answered without looking up. "It's a girl's school."

"A girl's school? Why do we need that?"

"Because the girls need to be comfortable getting more than just a primary education. If we just open the regular schools to them, they won't go. The boys already there won't make them feel comfortable and they might feel like they aren't allowed even if we say they are. If we have a school just for girls, then they will know that they're safe and wanted."

Jacques looked thoughtful. "Is that how female education was expanded in Vasconia?"

"Indeed it was. During my great-grandmother's reign. We have some very old and prestigious girl's schools now because of her."

Jacques nodded. "Then, I am in agreement. I'll leave control of it to you though. The hospital?'

"Not so much a new building as I want to renovate the old one. I got a letter a few weeks ago from the staff requesting funds for some needed repairs. When I sent someone to investigate, their report indicates there is a need for a great deal more. I think the building can be saved, but it will need expansion, I'm thinking another entire floor, a new building, modernization, and new supplies and furniture."

"That's quite an expense."

"But a worthy one. Especially with how many soldiers we have that returned with wounds that will last for years. Besides, the hospital was built when Ambraude still only had two rings. It needs to expand to support the bigger population."

"You make good arguments. Very well. And the waste disposal plant?"

"Oh, that one is actually really exciting. Look at these plans..." She fetched a paper from her desk and brought it to him, eagerly pointing out the new machinery that was intended for the building. The style was entirely new, completely different from their current systems. It was the first thing Manon had her hand in improving that wasn't coming from Vasconian ideas.

If anything, she was pretty sure that Vasconia might very well end up taking this idea from them. The amount of waste that could be treated and purified into various components used in fertilizers and industrial purposes was much higher and the yields much purer.

Well, as pure as such a thing could be anyway.

And yes, it did occur to her that she was excited over literal shit, but she had long since accepted that adulthood came with some weird quirks like that.

After they finished discussing the new infrastructure projects, she sat back behind her desk and moved onto the next thing on the schedule.

The two of them were going to be at the upper market later for the re-opening. Not every building had been completely repaired, but most of them were going to be ready for business. Thanks to royal support and the eager work of their new lords. The businessmen-turned-noblemen were eager to prove their worth and prove themselves worthy of the titles they had been given. Manon had never seen crews work so fast as she did over the last few days.

But that was going to happen around midday. They still had a lot to do this morning. Besides running the building plans by Jacques, she also had to reply to the letters she had received from her family and friends throughout the three kingdoms, approve the spending reports Arnaud had sent them for the palace, and start preparing for Queen Eleonore's visit.