Breaking From Within

The protests weren't dying down.

For her own safety, Queen Eleonore decided to end her visit prematurely. Jacques and Manon had been horrified when she told them. Afraid of what this would mean for their kingdom. She assured them that she was still going to open full trade and sign the agreements they had reached, but she could longer linger and enjoy the city as a tourist.

"I have faith in what you can do here, but I can't remain any longer in case things get bad. And too often, things get bad before they get better," she told them sadly when they joined her for breakfast a few days later when it became apparent that things weren't calming down.

"You have to see to your own safety," Jacques agreed, not unhappy that she was looking after herself but angry that it was a necessity at all.

"You'll come back someday?" Manon asked, guilt eating at her for some reason. She had nothing to do with their choices or actions, but she was the reason they made them. She was the reason Queen Eleonore had to flee.

She understood too well now how her mother had felt before when an entire war had been waged over her life. Even knowing that nothing that happened was actually her fault didn't help ease the burn of the hot guilt that others now suffered because of her.

"So long as you two are on the throne, I will be back," Eleonore promised. "And I expect my next invitation to be the naming of your child."

Jacques smirked and Manon blushed, but neither of them countered her words.

She had to return, but none of them wanted it to seem like she was running. So, she agreed to stay long enough that they could throw her a proper farewell feast.

To make sure that everyone knew she definitely wasn't fleeing from the ever growing tension in the kingdom, they had an entire day of fun and activities devoted to her.

In the two days leading up to it, they finished all their work. Hammered out the last details of the treaties and negotiations. Signed everything necessary. Eleonore made a formal offering to the Sacellum to show her support for the changes they had brought, they offered her gifts to take back home to Lloegyr.

All the while, Manon worked together with Arnaud to organize the party and festivities for the queen's last day. She would be departing early the next morning, and three of them plus Cy and Felicie would have breakfast together one last time to see her off, but that was to be a more private affair. Cy and Felicie would be leaving with her as well and Manon was eager to make sure she said goodbye to her longtime friend and paladin.

She didn't often work with the palace steward, mostly because the elderly man seemed more comfortable with Jacques. He was obviously uneasy around Amorette and since Amorette was the head of Manon's personal guard, he often had to see them together.

Manon knew better than to think she could change everyone's mind. Especially older people that she knew tended to be stuck in their ways and thinking. As far as she was concerned, those people didn't have to like her paladin, but they did have to tolerate her presence and treat her with the same basic courtesy they would anyone else.

And since Arnaud did that much, she was able to overlook the odd glances he sent Amorette's way whenever she was there when Manon had to speak to him.

He was also very good at his job. They had already planned on having a feast for Queen Eleonore's departure, but it wasn't for two more weeks. Telling him that they were moving it up to three days away didn't even make him flinch. He frowned at the workload such a change would bring, but he worked diligently alongside Manon to see it done.