Where It All Began

Where It All Began

"That was the last. We're done."

Manon's gentle reassurance came with a firm massage from her hands along her husband's stiff shoulders. He had tossed himself down onto the settee with a groan, one hand loosening the collar of his shirt, the other tossing away his circlet.

It had been a long day. The last of a series of long days. Trial after trial taking place with them presiding over each and every one. They had both agreed that the matter of treason warranted more attention from them. They also wanted the accused, and indeed all of the city, to know that they were taking this matter seriously.

Everyone was so assured of the promise of death for the part that they had played, their mercy had been a shock for every person who came under their judgment.

And with each man surprised, another mind was changed. Maybe not their mind specifically, but perhaps a loved one. Or a spectator who simply wanted to see how they handled such an unprecedented and potentially disastrous situation.

Emilien had argued that blanket forgiveness might seem weak.

Manon had argued that blanket forgiveness wasn't what was happening. They were all still going to be punished in accordance with the severity of their crime, they were just choosing to not execute everyone in mass.

Those that breached the courtyard but not the palace received the lightest sentence. Some hard labor in service to the city and no more. Those that invaded the castle but hurt no one, they received light prison sentences as well as hard labor.

Those harmed palace staff and guards received years in prison. Those who could be identified as a killer got the worst. Emphasis was put on the harm that they had done to their fellow Gasconites at their trial.

The harshest sentences were reserved for the leaders. Those men were forced, under threat of death or lifelong imprisonment, to confess the lies they told. Manon and Jacques were well aware of what they were, but had deliberately left it up to them which lies they wanted to confess. They were all admitted in front of regular members of the traditionalists, though none of the leaders were allowed to confess at the same time. That way, each leader confessed to different lies, but all confirmed multiple times over that they were all indeed the same lies.

For Manon and Jacques, it had been exhausting and repetitive and the temptation to just oversee one, big, mass trial kept rearing its ugly head.

But the reward for their patience and diligence was multiple minds changed. Multiple men being granted lighter sentences. Even some outright apologies from those who saw how they were lied to and manipulated and the taste left was so bitter in their mouths that the only thing that could remove it was the harsh tang of humility and confession.

For every man, almost without fail, it came out during their trial that their reason for doing what they did was a genuine belief that Manon was out to destroy their country. That they were going to be rescuing poor Queen Sabine, who had been betrayed by a son too young for his throne, who had been ensorcelled by a pretty face.

That narrative was so set in their heads, seeing Manon, who couldn't claim to be any great beauty, being the one to offer them mercy while Jacques looked on, fully prepared and ready to condemn them all to death, was a shock. Some were so deep in denial they refused to try to see honesty and truth, claiming it all more acts and lies.

But most of them were reasonable, understanding people who accepted what they bore witness to with their very eyes for what it was. Some were grateful for their lightened sentence to the point of even thanking them.