Chapter 4 [Not Only In Dreams]

(Copyright) © 2011 Candle_Ice

* * * * *

[A/N: Picture of Katelyn Tarver as Helena van Hastening at the side]

Chapter 4

Elise's head was spinning. Coming back to a conscious state, she saw that she was in her room, on her bed, the curtains on her lone window were closed, so it wasn't clear how late it was. She had the worst dream ever. His royal highness, The Crown Prince of Elyria, Leonidas Erland De Van Wells was her e-pal, and had suggested they become a couple and announce their engagement. There was something definitely wrong with the water in this house, she thought!

She got out of bed and headed to her the kitchen for a snack.

Helena, her sister was sitting at the kitchen island listening to her iPod and doing home work when she came in. Upon seeing Elise, Helena, jumped off the stool and pulled out her earphones.

"OH MY GOODNESS! You and the crown prince! That's freaking awesome!"

OH NO! IT wasn't a dream!! It actually happened?!

 Her mother walked into the kitchen when she heard Helena's scream. Elise just stood there, not saying a word, with a baffled look on her face, while her sister rattled on and on of how cool it was that her older sister was dating the crown prince!

"Lena," their mother chastised, “let her be.”

Helena stopped talking and stared at her sister, "You're not excited?" She asked, seeing the gloomy look on her face.

"Not in the least, Lena," Elise replied and explained to her what she already told her mom. 

"Bummer! That sucks... I'll tell everyone who asks at school tomorrow that it was a case of mistaken identity." Helena said, as she walked towards the stairway.

Smiling a little, Elise asked her mother the question that has been nagging her since she realised it wasn't a dream. 

"Mom, where's Leonidas? He's not still here, is he?"

"No dear, he left a little while ago. He was worried about you, but the King was returning today, so he needed to return to the palace. After he left, he had this brought back via a royal messenger and asked me to give you this. I didn't want to give it to you in front of Lena, you know how she gets, she'd want you to read it aloud," Her mom said, handing her a sealed envelope with the royal coat of arm on the front.

"You, yourself, want to know what it says," Elise teased her mom. 

"I do," her mom confessed in an honest tone, "but you're almost twenty years old. That means you’re old enough to make your own decisions, without me, or your father, pestering you. I admit, I am curious to know what the envelope contains, but it is none of my business."

With that her mother left her alone in the kitchen. Making a cup of hot chocolate, Elise carried her mug and the envelope up to her room. 

Curiosity got the best of her as soon as she closed her bedroom door behind her. She sat on her bed and placed the mug on her bedside table. Running her hands over the coat of arms on the front, feeling the slight bump it formed, made goose bumps run up her arms. Carefully breaking the seal, she pulled out a sheet of paper and unfolded it.

'From the desk of: HRH Prince Leonidas Erland De van Wells.'  

Omigosh! Official royal stationery. She had to be dreaming. Pinching herself, she knew she was not, and then felt stupid for pinching herself in the first place. 

She read his deep, bold scrawls, and couldn’t help thinking that for a male, he had nice penmanship.

Dear Elise,

I did not mean to startle you with my request. I confess, I am a little rusty when it comes to pursuing a female who does not immediately fall at my feet. I do apologise for my actions. From the first moment I talked to you, I was intrigued. I would like to get to know you better. And no, you will not get arrested if you say 'no'. But I do hope you say 'yes'. 

Will you please call me Elise, when you get this? No matter the time, I want to speak to you. I have included my direct line and my cell phone number. We need to talk.

Yours faithfully,

Leonidas.

She read and reread the letter three times. The reality of her pen pal, her e-pal, or whatever he was, was beginning to sink in. This was the guy she chatted with, shared her thoughts with, bonded with, fell in almost ‘like’ with. This guy was the future king of Elyria.

Was he the same guy she knew, or was it all a façade? The only way she’d know is to call him.

Should she call him now? Checking the clock, she saw it was 10:37 p.m. With sweaty palms, she picked up her phone and slowly began to dial his cell number.

******

It was after 10, and he still hadn't heard from her. Maybe she's still asleep. He itched to call and find out, but didn't want to disturb her or her family if they were busy or sleeping. Besides, she didn't officially give him her number; he only knew it because he was who he was. And having already freaked her out, he didn't want to risk doing so again by calling. But then again, he was the Crown Prince, so she would know he has ways and means of getting her number. With that thought he picked up the phone with a speed. With that same speed he slammed it down again.

Remembering what his father said, that he should give her time to come to terms with the fact that the guy she likes is actually her crown price. His father was a wise man, but patience was not one of Leonidas' greatest virtues. 

But patience is what his father preached. The King and Queen were friends since childhood days. She was the Prime Minister's daughter and as such was well aware of the royal ways, hence when it was time to choose a bride, his father, the King then and Leonidas' grandfather, choose her to be his son's bride. Over time their friendship turned to love and grew into a strong bond. Both the King and Queen have approved for their three children to choose who they want to marry, doing away with the custom of arranged marriages. And they can't wait to meet Elise. He told them of her passion, her contagious enthusiasm and her views for the future, and they said it was his choice to make, but they liked his choice so far. When they met her, he thought, they'll be blown away by her charm and beliefs, not to mention her beauty, he thought smugly.   

Sighing, he thought of turning into bed early. Hearing the ring of his cellphone paused him mid step. Trying not to appear too eager, even though there was no one in his room to see him even if he did; he reached for the device and checked the caller ID: Elise van Hastening. Kind of creepy he already had her number stored in his phone, but he was the only one who knew of this, so it didn’t matter.

Taking a breath for courage, he answered the call... "Elise?"