CHAPTER 18

Cassie sat on her bed with her phone like she had been doing for the past three days since Veronica left. She had thought of every place Veronica could have gone to and searched for her but to no avail. All she was doing was waiting just in case she had calmed herself enough to give her a call or text.

She was afraid of something like that happening and that was why she never mentioned anything to Veronica but now that it was actually happening, she was starting to rethink her decision. She had no idea where Ethan was since he left in search of Veronica that day and never really got back. He was the last person she wanted to have in mind anyway.

Amidst her thoughts and anxious waiting, her phone rang. She jumped up to receive the call even without looking at the caller id thinking it was Veronica.
"Vee!" She called out her voice full of excitement.

"Sorry Cass but it's me."

"Chris?"

"Yeah. I thought Veronica was there with you. Didn't you guys have plans for the weekend?"

"We did?" She asked feeling confused as she could not remember making any plans or telling Chris.

"You told me that on her birthday," that was when Cassie remembered her white lie to Chris the night of Veronica's birthday.

"Oh yeah," she laughed nervously, "we did have plans. I almost forgot."

"Actually that's why I'm calling. I can't reach Veronica and she wasn't home so I assumed she's with you?"

Cassie knew that if Chris found out Veronica was not with her, he would have lots of doubt and she did not want to create any more problems for her. She had to lie to Chris again.

"Uuuh... yeah. Yes Vee's here with me but she left just a while ago. She's buying some groceries that's why I thought she was the one calling me."

"But her phone's off..."

"True, but she's been gone for sometime I just thought she might have charged it on her way... Anywho,when she gets back from her shopping I'll make sure she calls you," she said clearly wanting to end the uncomfortable conversation she was having.

"Okay. Thank you."

"No problem... bye."

If there had ever been a better time for Veronica to show up, it had to be then. It was totally understandable that she was mad at her and Ethan but was she forgetting the fact that she was engaged to Chris Thompson. She tried calling Veronica again and left her a voicemail hoping she would turn her phone on just once. As expected, it went straight to voicemail and she left one last message for the day.