CHAPTER 26

Veronica spent the next two weeks in the house communicating to Ethan through Cassie after successfully managing to convince Chris to push their wedding. She even had to feign sickness and with her father's help, she got Chris to call their family doctor without his knowledge, who helped her with the lie.

Chris made the announcement that the wedding would be delayed up until she got well. She had to stay up in her room all day and she was thankful for it since it meant staying away from Chris. Cassie had visited her that morning again with news from Ethan who had long been discharged. They could not call him since her phone was taken, as always, before coming to Veronica's room.

"I'm now beginning to understand why Rapunzel had to sneak out of her tower... Christ! I can't even take a walk while I'm here or talk to my best friend in peace and privacy,"she said her eyes turning to look at the door then she shouted,"I know you're there Cullhane."

She was referring to the personal guard Chris had hired for her  'security purposes'. She knew he was more of her babysitter, always keeping watch of every little thing she did.

"Do you have any idea when he's coming back?"

"No ...and to be honest I don't want to know anything that involves him. I'm certain the moment he returns he'll plan the wedding again."

"That won't happen because I'll be right here with you. We'll find a way to stop him."

"No," Veronica shook her head, "that would be risking Ethan's life and I can't do that. Plus I can't let you abandon your whole life to be here with me ... you should be going to work today, going on dates with that cute guy from the party and before you deny I know you've been seeing him."

"Yeah," Cassie smiled, "but I don't mind being here with you."

"I know but I do. I feel like I'm taking advantage of our friendship here..."

"No you're not..."

"No Cass, you can't keep coming here and leaving every other important thing behind."

She was not going to let Cassie stay with her. It was enough that she had become a messenger for Ethan and her, she had to live her life too. She had to force Cassie to go to work and asked her not to visit for the next couple of days despite her protests.

The moment Cassie left, Chris arrived,back from what he had said was a business trip. She wanted to go back upstairs to avoid him but he called her and she had to stand by the door, arms folded over her chest and wait as he approached her.

"Don't you want to say hi to me?"

He gave her a peck and kissed her while she stood there not responding or looking at him directly in the eye.

"I missed you."

"Wish I could say the same."

"You don't have to. I know you did,"he smiled before kissing her.

Veronica pushed him away but he held her throat in anger chocking her. She was shocked and did not expect his reaction. She kept hitting his hand trying to make him let go. His guard were down the staircase that led to the main door and they saw what was happening and did not intervene.

"You should learn to be respectful Veronica. I am your fiance, is that how you welcome me?"

"P-please," she struggled to say chocking under his hold.

He saw the horror in her eyes and let her go, hugging her and petting her to try and soothe her as she coughed trying to breathe.

"You know I don't like hurting you...but you provoke me and I hate that. Don't make me hurt you baby."

He moved her away gently to look into her eyes and saw her crying. He wiped away her tears before leading her to her room upstairs and leaving her there.

She was scared. Scared of the beast she was only beginning to learn of. Scared of the many things he could do even to her and she was definitely not ready to marry him. He was a wrong choice but she did not exactly have any good choices as long as Ethan would get hurt in the process.