chapter one

Moving day

Moving day. Unconventionally Eleanor Hayden's favourite day of the year. It signified new beginnings, new adventures and new friendships. It was just like Herman Melville wrote in Moby Dick, "I know not all that may be coming, but be it what it will, I'll go to it laughing". And that is exactly what Eleanor loved about it, embracing the unknown. 

Don't misunderstand her. Eleanor Hayden was always keen on keeping control. She was her mother's daughter after all. But she loved the challenge. She was, as always, open for intrigue.

However, Eleanor found herself in Branford College with the very same face she has been seeing since Birth: Rory Gilmore. Not that she was complaining, Eleanor loved her cousin like a sister she never had. But the brunette couldn't help but wish for a little freshness surrounding her second year at Yale. 

Eleanor was the only daughter of Charles and Diana Hayden, two Attorneys that met in London on one of Charles's Business Trips. The beautiful and posh Diana Hastings had immediately swept away the carpet under Charles's feet, making the young men fall head over heels for the blonde. Flash forward a few years, a gorgeous wedding and many fights with the Haydens about the way to raise a child -- Eleanor Francine Hayden was born on the 6th of July 1984 in London, England. And that is exactly where the new family stayed, leaving Charles's brother Christopher to deal with the teenage pregnancy of his girlfriend Lorelei Gilmore alone. Now, we all know the feelings the Haydens held towards Rory being their illegitimate Grandchild, and combining this with the anger they held towards Charles and Diana for raising their only considered Grandchild on another continent, the spouses were forced by family strings to move back to the States and enrolled Eleanor to the only acceptable school the Haydens considered: Chilton Preparatory School. 

It was a blessing in disguise, really, if you ask Eleanor. Not that she didn't adore London, but she had always considered herself more of a New Yorker than a Londoner. With her father's Law Firm being based on the Upper East Side and Diana quickly scoring a Job in the same neighbourhood, Eleanor learned quickly to live life in-between the worlds of Hartford and New York City. 

Of course, Rory and Eleanor had met on countless occasions before; Charles and Christopher were close siblings after all. Yet, they only grew the bond they held today after their adventures during their shared school years at Chilton. It was Chilton where Eleanor and Rory became the best of friends, warming the hearts of Lorelei, Christoper, Charles and Diana. Straub and Francine, however, well to put it in a friendly manner, couldn't have cared less

It was also at Chilton where Eleanor met her first love, Tristan Dugray. A relationship with the utmost support from both the Haydens and the Dugrays. However, the young pair could not handle the ups and downs of long-distance after Tristan was sent off to Military School, making the couple break up and sending Eleanor downwards a horrid heartbreak spiral. After months of seeing the sulky teenager, Rory and Eleanor's best friends Madeline, Paris and Louise intervened and took the brunette on a Trip to New York City, where the brunette finally learned to love life again. In no time, Eleanor Hayden chimed back up the social ladder, claimed back her spot as Queen at Chilton and graduated alongside her best friends and in the company of her family.