Chapter 1: Not-So-Perfect

"Are you sure that this whole school thing is a good idea? My father already said no... and you know how he gets if I disobey him." Adrien sighed.

"Maybe it's time that you start sticking up for yourself, Adrien. Your father has controlled you, and pushed you around for your entire life. You deserve the right to make your own decisions, and to think for yourself." Mia replied in a soft tone.

Mia knew that she wasn't really one to talk. She had been unable to stick up for herself all her life.

She had always defended Adrien, though. But she knew that she couldn't win all his arguments for him.

"...Fine. I might talk to him later... if he gets back soon, that is," Adrien said sadly, taking a short pause. "Did your parents let you go to school today?"

"Yeah... I mean... the first day is supposed to be tomorrow, though." Mia informed.

"Oh..." Adrien stated wearily.

Mia noticed the glum look on his face.

"Don't worry, Adrien... I-" Mia began assuring.

Before she could say anything else, Mia's phone buzzed in her pocket. She pulled it out and answered it, not wanting to know what would happen if she didn't.

"Where the hell are you, bitch?! You were supposed to be at your photoshoot five minutes ago!" Yelled her father from the other side.

She tried her hardest not to flinch at the toxicity of his voice, as Adrien was watching her intently. He hadn't known about her toxic household for the entire time they've known each other. She wasn't planning on letting him know now.

"Um... I'm already on my way!" She exclaimed, and hung up before her father could curse at her even more.

"What was that all about?" Adrien questioned.

"I'm late for my photoshoot! I need to get going! Sorry, Adrien! I'll see you later I guess!" Mia said, quickly walking out of his room.

She felt horrible about not having the time to comfort Adrien. Perhaps she could talk to him later.

Mia exited the mansion as quickly as possible, but without running. But as soon as the fresh air hit her face, she was bolting down the lane, and down the sidewalk.

Her photoshoot was taking place at the Bois de Boulogne park... the largest park in Paris. That was good, as it meant that there would be a lot of people there, which meant that her parents would not lash out at her as much. However, it was also bad. There would be a bunch of people there that wanted autographs, and her parents always made her sign them all... it would be considered rude not to.

After just a few minutes, Mia arrived at the destination. Adrien's house was close to the park, and you would assume that they spent lots of time there in their childhood. But Gabriel didn't want his son out in public unless it was for a photoshoot. And Mia's parents didn't want her to hang out with Adrien in the first place. So, Mia had no clue how to navigate the park.

However, it didn't take her long to spot the place she was supposed to go. There was a huge sign that said 'Pristine Magazines: Photoshoot' on it.

But hundreds of people were in the way.

"Um... excuse me? I don't mean to bother you guys... but could you please move?" Mia asked the crowd of people in front of her. However, they didn't seem to take notice of her.

Her eyes scanned the proximity of the area. There was a boardwalk that was up against the water, that seemed to have minimal people on it.

Mia bolted over there, and ran along the boardwalk.