Chapter 13

Kimi was frantic, heated as if she'd explode. Anger didn't stop her from reaching into a box of donated clothes; she gave me a change of clothes. Also didn't stop her from going to her computer to send my systems the latest address. She couldn't save me, but she wouldn't stop helping me.

Which was why I walked down the moonlit streets, searching for the car she'd assigned me. Anthony followed close behind. With nowhere to go, I didn't mind. But he couldn't stay with me the whole night.

I slowed near a black Sedan with tinted windows. The streetlights behind us illuminated the glass. Anthony's reflection stared back at me. Judging by the look in his eyes, he wanted answers to questions he was afraid to ask. Too bad I couldn't do that for him. As Kimi said, he knew too much already. The less he knew, the better.

"I need you to do something for me," I told him as I closed my bomber jacket. It was too big to keep me warm. It didn't bother me, though. It probably wouldn't make it through the night.

"What?" Anthony shivered as he turned back to look at the street. A car stayed at the red streetlight. I smelled Anthony's paranoia in the air like bad cologne.

I faced him. "I need you to hit up Old Man Slim's for some eggs before he closes shop."

"Eggs?" Anthony scoffed. "Man, I had just left there when I found you. I'd been fixing his shelves, cleaning his store all morning!"

My brows lifted. Was that why his shoes and sweater were dirty? He'd done what I asked. Little fucker; made me proud.

"The last thing I need to do is go back. Wherever you're going, I got to be there." He slapped his hand against his chest. "I have to make sure you're straight before anything else."

He reminded me of the first time we met. I'd been walking down the street after getting out of prison. I had seen my mom and took Maggie out to dinner, but a part of me needed to visit my old block. On the way to Slim's store, I saw him—Anthony pressed up against the side of a building by two kids his age. His lip was bleeding. He had a cut brow. I almost left him; fresh out of the cafe, I needed to stay away from crime. But Anthony reminded me so much of myself.

I couldn't leave him. Instead, I had lifted both kids off the ground and tossed them into the road like ragdolls. When they ran, Anthony stood and screamed at me, "I can take care of myself!"

What he'd just said to me was almost what I'd said to him that day: "I know you can, but until I see it for myself, I'm not leaving you out here. I'mma stay until I know you're straight."

The Sedan's electronic lock opened and the alarm beeped. I tugged open the driver's side door. "My mom needs the eggs. She wants to make a cake," I said.

Anthony blinked. "Huh?"

Slowly, I pulled the door open. I needed to separate myself from him. "I told her earlier I'd pick some up, so if you could do it and take it to her, I'd appreciate it." Hopping into the car, I looked at him and added. "I'll pay you back, too."

Before I closed the door, Anthony reached out and grabbed it. His fingers wrapped around the side. He sighed and shook his head. "Gio,"

I didn't let go of the door, but I didn't close it either. "Grab her some milk, too, just in case."

He groaned. "That dude who was trying to look at you tonight, when you were fucked up on the road, I think he knew you."

This was new. He hadn't mentioned it. He'd said the guy was suspicious, yes, but knowing me? Was he that curious? I blinked, tonguing my cheek. "What'chu mean?"