Chapter 19

All the lights were on at my mom's house. Bruno sat on the couch beside the window. When I approached with Maggie in my arms, he barked. The small dog announced our entrance.

I couldn't even reach the porch steps before the door opened wide. My mother rushed out, glaring at me but quickly changed her look when she saw Maggie. Her arms stretched out for her granddaughter instead.

The moment she scooped Maggie into her arms, the tears fell. And my mother looked at me with wide, worried eyes. "What happened?" Then her eyes passed over me. "Y, tu, are you okay, Giovanni? Nene—"

I wrapped my arms around her and Maggie. I kissed the sides of both of their heads. As I inched back, her expression changed. Worry shifted into fear, but I knew that she knew she couldn't show it. It was obvious something horrible happened.

"Everyone's hungry," I said with a weak smile. "And Maggie wanted her abuela."

My mother's eyes passed over everyone as she held my daughter close. Lifting my brows, I realized what I'd forgotten. I extended my arm to Anthony, who stood to my right. "Ma, this is Anthony—"

She nodded. "The nice boy who brought me eggs."

I laughed. "Right, him. He's hungry, so I brought him over."

"Oh." My mom's mouth formed a small 'o' before she glanced at Kimi. Clearing my throat, I put my arm around her shoulder to introduce her. "And this is Kimi—"

"Your girlfriend?" My mom blinked as she asked the question. My mouth hung open for a second, unsure of how to answer.

But Kimi took the initiative. She reached for my hand and held it tight. Our fingers linked together effortlessly. "Maybe one day," she said with a big smile. "Baby steps because work gets in the way, you know."

My mom's 'o' turned into an 'ah.' I wasn't sure whether I should be happy or hurt. It wasn't like she was wrong. The kiss we shared; there were some serious emotions in it—mine and hers. But I didn't know how the night was going to end. And from the looks of it, Kimi didn't know either.

"Well—" My mom pressed Maggie's head against her shoulder to wipe at her tears. When Maggie sniffed, she caressed the side of her head and glanced at Anthony. "—if you're hungry, go inside. I can make you a plate."

As he entered the house with a quiet 'Thank you,' my mom looked at us next. "Are you both coming in?" she asked.

I bit the insides of my cheeks. "I, um, I won't, ma."

Her eyes widened. "Why?" she asked sternly.

I sighed, sliding my hands over my forehead before smiling at her. "You know me. I'm always going to do everything you told me not to do."

She relaxed. And scowled. "You didn't take my advice, hm?"

I did, but I didn't. "Look, ma," I slowly turned her around while planting a kiss on top of Maggie's head, "I'll be back, okay? I promise."

I lied. I never lied to my mother. Even if it was the dark, awful truth, I told it to her. She saw every color of me, every side. I knew she wouldn't judge me even while she scolded me and pleaded with me to be better. She accepted me as I was because I was her little boy. And would always be.

"Fine." My mom exhaled sharply through her nose before looking at Kimi. "Are you coming in to eat, too?"

"I—" Kimi started.

But I grabbed her hand. "She will in a second, ma," I said. "I just need to talk to her first."

"Hm." My mom pursed her lips as her eyes scanned us up and down. Yet, despite the look, she didn't stay. She left us on the front porch, closing the door slightly, just enough to let the living room lights flood around our feet.

I dipped to the side to ensure they were out of ear length. I even scanned the living room to detect the noise levels. When I knew no one was listening, I looked back at Kimi. She had the wildest look on her face. Her mouth hung open; brows pinched together. "Kimi, remember I asked you to do something for me." I closed the gap between us and cupped her face. She shifted to the side so I wouldn't touch her. "Kimi, I need you to do this."

"Whatever it is, I can't," she said, closing her eyes. "Today has been too much. And I tried, I thought." She sighed. "I thought that if I did all of this, I could save you—"

"You have." I lowered my head yet kept my gaze on her.

Her tears fell. "I didn't, Gio." She grabbed my hands. "I tried to control the environment. I thought, maybe if I made sure everything was calculated, you could live to see another day—"

"I have." Slowly, I nodded.

"Gio, you're going to die." Tears fell. She quietly sobbed as she held me. "I love you..."

I closed my eyes. "Kimi, if you love me, you need to—"

"No." She shook her head, cutting me off. "I won't. You're going to find him, and you two will kill each other. I know it. And it hurts me."

I held her. What she said was true. And it was probably going to happen. Did I plan to go in there and die? No. But could it happen? Sure. The probability was about fifty-fifty. Mark and I were augmented; we were machines. He was advanced; I knew it when we fought. The static, the system blockages—I knew he was affecting me. We were equal to a point; could I win this fight? I had no idea. I only hoped that my conscience would react as needed—brains over brawn. I can't let the rage win tonight.

I combed my fingers through her hair. "Back at your office, you guys found me with a bag." She nodded, sniffling against my chest. I sighed and said, "There's a lot of money in that bag. I think Mark planned on running away if shit got bad. He killed Brenda tonight, pulled it out, but left it behind. So, I have it."

Kimi exhaled sharply as she looked up at me with tear-filled eyes. I clenched my jaw. "I need you to take that money, take my daughter, my mom; I need you to get them and yourself somewhere far far away," I said. "Shit, I this point, take Anthony, too. He's seen too much."

"I can't... I... Gio, I..." Kimi fisted the bottom of my shirt. "What about you?"

With one finger, I stroked the side of her cheek. A tear gently landed on my skin. My heart sped, a reminder that I was still alive. Still thinking. I wasn't the monster Paxton wanted me to become. But I couldn't be honest. I didn't know what would happen to me tonight.

"Kim," I whispered, "if Mark's like me, I can track him, right? In here?" I pointed at the side of my head.

She sniffed and squeezed her eyes shut. I frowned. "Just answer the question, Kim."

Still, without looking at me, she nodded slowly. "He can track you, too," she whimpered.

"That's okay," I said, coaxing her to open her eyes. "That's why I need you to let them," I pointed at my mother's house, "chill tonight. When everyone's done—run. Please. You hear me?"

Kimi pursed her lips. I shook my head and repeated, "You hear me?"

Finally, she nodded. And that was okay. I didn't need her to say anything. It was enough confirmation for me. Planting a kiss on her forehead, I turned her slowly toward the front door of my mom's house and opened it for Kimi. She didn't step inside but settled her hand on the doorknob. "Tell me what's going to happen to you," she whispered.

I pushed my hands into the front pocket of my jeans. I scanned her emotions. I barely read it; a flurry of thoughts surged through her head, rising and falling with the temperatures of her body. A machine didn't need to explain this to me. I knew what I had to say; she needed some truth. And if there was one thing I could say, it was the response I should've told her earlier.

Giving her a weak smile, I turned onto the front walkway. "I love you, too."