Chapter 20

Kimi's tears stuck with me as I walked into the night. I told her the one truth I'd been hiding for months. Pretending it was just a crush or some office attraction made it easy to ignore. But after kissing her, having heard her say, "I love you," first; I had to tell her. If I died, I wouldn't forgive myself.

I laughed to myself. If I die, I can't do shit.

A car slowly pulled to a stop beside me. I glanced at it, immediately scanning it and my surroundings to make sure it wasn't Mark. The people inside didn't pay me attention; they'd stopped to light their joint.

Yet, because I scanned the neighborhood, Mark's radius was closer than I thought. What usually looked like a regular map in my line of vision, was now accompanied by a small, red dot. I found him. I was just two streets away. Glancing to my right, I could cut behind the houses and get to him faster.

"Yo, my man!" one of the guys inside the car called to me. I turned back, cocking a brow at him. I didn't respond but nodded, waiting. "Want a hit?" he asked.

I blinked. No, I didn't want their drugs. Why would they share with someone they didn't know? Shit. Sucking my teeth, I shook my head and turned away from them. But he spoke again. "Hey! Wait!"

This time I stopped without turning. I waited, looking ahead at the alleyway tucked between two brick buildings. While the two guys laughed in the car, I scanned the area again. Police weren't nearby. Street activity was scarce. No one would sound the alarms if shit went left. I just needed to get to Mark and end this.

"Hey! Come on, man!" the guy laughed.

The cackling from the two men irritated me. Clenching my jaw, I turned. The one who offered me drugs was hanging out of his window. He had a grin on his face; a lighter in his hand. As he lit fire to the joint again, he took a hit, then blew smoke in my direction. The other guy on the driver's side also pulled himself out of his window. He sat on the ledge, leaning on the car's roof. He smirked and lifted his chin. "Mark said to tell you he's waiting for you."

My eyes widened. How did they know Mark? Did he send his boys to find me? Mr. Passenger Seat let out another puff of smoke. "Yeah," he agreed with his friend, "he said if we saw you, to tell you he's at the park."

So, Mark sent them. He wasn't as advanced as I thought. Couldn't he locate me himself? I took one step to the car. "What park?"

The driver scratched his chin with his thumb. "He said you'd know; it meant something to y'all."

I wouldn't need my computer scans if it was the park I thought of. Powering them off made sense. I'd conserve energy. Turning on the balls of my feet, I waved at the car with two fingers before hurrying down the alley. My shoulders were hunched, head down; I focused on the uneven asphalt. A rat scurried by my feet. I watched it for a second before looking ahead.

Pauline's Park was our spot growing up. All of us—Mark, Ruben, and me. We met there every day after school. Hell, it was our hiding place after we robbed a place. It was also where Tommy had me practice; using the guns I hadn't agreed to. Pauline's Park was where I'd thrown all morality to the wind; where it all ended.

I broke out into a run. With my heart hammering in my chest, I sped through the alley, out into the neighboring street, and into the next. A homeless person leaning against an open dumpster spotted me and watched me with wide, curious eyes. No. I couldn't have witnesses. Not that the guy would say anything, but the fewer people spotting me was better.

"Adrenaline detected. Strengthening muscles to ninety-five percent."

I pumped my arms and legs. I ran faster. Dust and dirt trailed behind me as I darted out of the alley; I hoped the homeless man lost track. I could be a dream in his eyes.