𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒐𝒏𝒆. duality in unity

s e r a p h i n a

☽ ☾

Seraphina found it ironic that despite growing up in a family and life viewed as angelic, having a name with the same meaning and powers that were seen as saintly and pure, the people she was surrounded with from a young age weren't.

Nothing especially particular had happened that day to prompt the thought, but she had found a hidden photo of her and her brother in the back of her attire room in her chambers, and all of the hurt and pain had come rushing back in waves of tears as she clutched the frame to herself.

Wherever he was, she hoped with all the warmth in her heart that he was content and happy and safe; healthy, at the very least.

She had kissed the photo frame then placed it back in the box she'd found it in, fighting the tempting urge to go through it and reminisce; she told herself she would do so another day, when the diplomats and ambassadors had her parents' attention and they decided she wasn't necessary in the war room meetings.

She had already returned from a briefing that morning, and the news was the same as it had been the last few years: the war wasn't getting any better.

More Seraphics were being killed in the war effort, and the army of those who weren't gifted had passed on a plea for more help. Some of the ambassadors—to their credit, very bravely, she'd say—tentatively suggested asking for the help of some Orphics.

Seraphina didn't know what happened after that. She was asked to leave.

Her mother told her to get prepared for the ball, instead, and to look her best, as General Salvatore and his family were to be expected tonight. As far as anyone was aware, the Salvatores were the only ones capable of keeping peace between the Orphics and the Seraphics, and had been a messenger for the both.

That was how Seraphina ended up in front of her mirror that early evening, her magic glowing up her skin and her chambers ethereally as she turned around in front of the mirror to inspect herself from all angles.

Like usual, she wore a white, slip gown, shimmery with a thin sheer layer of glimmery net and spaghetti straps.

White was the colour of Seraphics, to demonstrate the purity and goodness of them, as that was the connotation many had associated with them; it was the way black was the colour of the Orphics, as nothing but cruelty and evil and darkness was associated with them.

Neither wore the other's colour. They wouldn't even be caught dead with it.

And more than anything, Seraphina found it fitting, because the Orphics had stolen her brother from them and left a hole in her heart, where everyone else filled it with sharp jagged pieces of glass instead in theirs.

A knock sounded at the door.

No doubt Diana, judging by her incessant amount of times the sound came.

Seraphina turned away from the mirror and hurried towards the double doors, pulling her magic back towards herself and leaving the room dull as she pulled them open with a grin.

"Oh," came out instead when she saw Kara.

"Stars. You could sound a little bit more enthusiastic to see me, Seph. I am only your friend," she remarked.