Chapter 04 - Was it Something You Said?

He'd barely been on campus for two weeks, but things for Luke Arbor already seemed to be looking up. A spring galvanised his steps as he set out from his dorm on a cold, clear Monday morning, a travel mug of coffee in one hand and his laptop bag slung over the opposite shoulder. The sun cascaded in between the university buildings, not bringing a huge amount of warmth right now, but still bathing everything in a honey-gold.

He took a gulp from his coffee – just on the right side of scorching – and followed the arc of grey paving that carved through the rolling greenery of the campus. The buildings of the various ELU accommodations climbed on either side, and a steady trickle of other students were spilling from their accommodations with varying degrees of enthusiasm.

Nine a.m. lectures weren't for everyone. Luke didn't mind it so much, especially not today. His black hoodie was zipped right up, warding off the morning chill, and as he cleared the shadow of a sandstone block of dorms, he saw her waiting for him.

Oaklynn lounged against the handrail that cut down the centre of the stairs leading to her residence halls, and she waved when she spotted him. Her hair was bundled underneath a charcoal beanie, spilling down the back of her black jacket. The jacket hung open to spite the cold,; the blue top beneath was open at the throat, revealing the dark cord of a necklace of some kind. Whatever was attached to it disappeared beneath the fabric.

She straightened up, taking a second to adjust the belt of her jeans with a sharp tug. She stomped her feet against the concrete and rubbed her hands together before gripping the straps of her backpack, beaming as he approached.

"Morning," she said, bouncing down the steps to meet him.

"Hey, hey," Luke replied, raising his coffee in a toast. "Look at you, all raring to go."

"I can be extremely motivated when I have to be," she assured him.

"I don't doubt it."

"No coffee for me?"

He hesitated. "Err, I ..."

"Oh, dear." A smile filled with mischief lit up her face and she took him by the elbow, spinning him in the direction of the lecture hall with a laugh. "Relax, Arbor, I'm already two cups deep."

"Funny, funny." Luke tugged his arm free as they walked, turning a beady eye upon her. "Guess that explains why you're so ready for a nine a.m. lecture on anthropological theory."

"Nice solve, Holmes. Now share." She made a grab for his coffee but he twisted away, shaking his head sagely.

"Oh, no, no, no, any more caffeine and you'll be bouncing off the walls in there."

"Don't pretend like you don't want to see that."

He thought about it for a moment. "I suppose that's true." With a show of reluctance he surrendered his coffee to her and she took a sip, sighing in satisfaction before handing it back.

They made their way into the flow of college life, a routine Luke now felt he could get used to in a heartbeat. Since that impromptu lunch, Oaklynn's reserved demeanour had softened, and she now actually seemed glad of his company. It was barely a couple of weeks into the semester and Luke knew he felt the same. He felt so at ease, the words flowing effortlessly as they navigated the first handful of classes together.

He still didn't feel like he knew a whole lot about her, besides the fact that she loved strong coffee, enjoyed 80s action films and had more energy at the crack of dawn than anyone he'd ever met. Their friendship – he felt he could justify calling it that – was just getting started, though. Details could wait. For her part, Oaklynn didn't pry either. For now it seemed they were both just happy to have someone to sit next to in a lecture or seminar, a skin-deep relationship that was already vindicating Luke's decision to come to Lasquette Bay.