Chapter 36

Have you ever not trusted yourself to make the right decision? Not trusted your instincts because you knew that if you made a single move it would be impulsive, explosive and completely reckless? Like a held in breathe before you unleashed a wild scream that would rip up your throat and tear the world apart in a battle cry that demanded fire and ash. 

I was a breath away from wildness. I could feel it in every part of my body. A bow strung tight, waiting to unleash an arrow that would strike and draw blood.

In most cases, when I was allowed to interrogate, inspire with fear, and unleash terror in the name of gathering knowledge, a little rage wasn't an issue. But that was a no-no when you were undercover, attempting— and failing— to act somewhat civil. Yes, I could be a drama queen, that would fit in quite well on television, but to be... unhinged? That was something I couldn't afford. Not if I was being goaded, teased so I would unleash fire on the wrong person. 

And what if I was wrong? What if I was putting together a mural with showcased the wrong pieces? My mind was full of two sets of information. One leading me to someone in the house, and the other was tugging me towards... something else. 

So instead of barreling through the house, in search for answers with a clouded mind that cried for recklessness disguised as justice, I locked myself in my room until morning, forcing myself to think. To breathe, to wait. Everything that went against my normal nature. Dragons didn't wait. They struck quick and fast. 

And as I forced myself to wait,  whispers fluttered through my mind, making suggestions that I couldn't afford to trust. You should plant the EpiPen in Andrew's room so no one knows that Ellie left. 

But that would result in slipping. Andrew wasn't a detective, but attempting to look calm when I was one step away from ripping someone's head off wasn't a smart time to spend around someone who had a tendency to get past my walls of protection. I knew that in some cruel twist of fate I would burst into angry tears and say something idiotic that would lead to a confession— me admitting that I was lying, even if it was for a good cause— or a confrontation— in which I would blindly accuse him of murdering his ex girlfriend, which I didn't believe. 

You should confront the person who told Ellie to place the EpiPen in Andrew's room. 

This option was even more tempting. But if I did, I would play my hand. I needed more time to think. To come up with a plan. You didn't play a game without learning all the rules, and I couldn't clearly see the game board while my vision was tinted red. 

So I did the thing I hated doing the most, I waited, expecting Decker to come back so we could make a game plan. But as the sunrise began to peak over the mansion's outer wall, I finally settled into an exhausted sleep, forced to put all plans to burn down the world off for a few hours. 

...

"You are truly stretching my talents Ms. Falls," Michale chided as I shoved the dresser away from my door and let Michale inside a few hours later. He glanced at the purple bruises under my eyes, the glorious evidence that spoke volumes in how little I slept, and looked ready to shove me back in bed. "No one is going to believe our little walk did you any good."

He chided. But behind his smile, he tried to hide his concern. "I can tell them that you are ill. Surely you could miss an activity with the other contestants so you can get rest." 

I glanced at the bed with a sigh. "I'm afraid it wouldn't do much good. I don't see myself sleeping well here until this mess is over." I rubbed my eyes. "Did you get what I asked for?"

Michale nodded and passed me a small box. "Yes. But I have no idea why you insisted on having a new earpiece brought to you—"

"Testing a theory," I replied with a yawn as I put the new earpiece into my ear. "Decker?"