Chapter 50

I'd always pictured my family as a broken, unthriving thing. The image of our tiny stitched together quilt of a family, made up of torn edges and unraveling seams, always left me feeling inadequate, unable to give my sisters the stability they deserve. 

Gazing at other families that were put together and so full of love, who sat around the dinner table, left me aching with loss. My mind flashed to the Dalton's. Katherine filled her home with warmth and food, bringing them all together for a meal once a week. Something I couldn't seem to do. 

But even though my families version of a evening meal together was me eating cold pizza that Misty left unfinished after falling asleep in front of the television, as I looked at the Walker Family settled around me at the dining room table, I had never been so thankful for my little broken family in my entire life. 

For the love Misty always had ready. For the fierce loyalty that always put Allie in our corner. For how the three Falls sisters protected each other, loved each other and fought for each other at every turn. 

And as Lindsey Walker's smile slashed across her face, cutting across her blood red lips in a fierce smile, surrounded by her family who stared at her with looks of disbelief, I had never felt such a mix of pity and outright rage. 

As I took in the Walkers, I didn't feel that same ache that normally came with taking in families around a dinner table. I felt... 

Ready. 

Brave. 

Strong. Even as I was on the verge of loosing control of the entire horrid dinner party. 

The room fell into a shocked silence, Lindsey Walker's words echoing throughout the room. 

"She's been lying to you. Playing with your heart. She's been conning all of us."

"Don't be ridiculous," Andrew said into the heavy silence, recovering first.

I couldn't look at him. I refused to look at him. I didn't want to see the moment he realized that everything was a lie. That I wasn't going to be his 'pick' anymore. 

"She HAS been lying," Lindsey insisted, each word clipped. 

"Like Kacey Grail," Luke said. 

I shut my eyes tight at the sound of Andrew's heart wrenching gasp, chair screeching behind him as he bolted to his feet. "SHE IS NOTHING LIKE KACEY!" 

Luke tilted his head up curiously, staring up at his brother with an unreadable expression from where he continued to sit in a relaxed posture. The two brothers stared at each other, eyes clashing with unspoken challenges and questions. 

"Kacey is dead," I said into the silence, the words echoing across the room like a monstrous thunder clap. 

I scanned their faces for initial reactions. Andrew's head whipped around so fast, that I was surprised that it didn't snap off. He went from shocked to pale as he read the honesty on my face before collapsing back into his chair. 

Luke closed his eyes, cutting off access to the pain in his expression. Lindsey Walker's mouth dropped open, eyes wide, evil smirk vanishing. Grandpa Walker's bushy brows pinched in confusion. Prism held her gloved hands over her face, her body trembling with quiet tears. Mary Grey stared across the table, completely at a loss for what was happening. 

Which one of these is not like the others?

I stood to my feet, placing each of their reactions into a mental file. "That's why I'm here. Kacey Grail was murdered, and one of you did it."