CHAPTER ONE - Instigation

"Honey, I like this cool necklace hanging in your dad's shrine room. It's amazing!" Kelly squealed.

She reached out a hand to touch it, but Kunle snatched it out of her grasp and hung it back. Unfortunately, he could not remember if it were supposed to be on the gold hook or the brass hook. Perhaps it ought to be on the shelf? After moving it back and forth between the two, his final choice was the gold one.

Kunle closed his eyes to stifle an eye roll. It wasn't an ordinary necklace. It was used for divination. The string of beads was made of polished brown and white stones, but anything used for spiritual consultation could not be compared to trendy jewelry.

He cursed the chick flick that put him in this situation. After Kelly watched a rom com about bonding in the woods, she insisted they go camping together. Willing to please her, Kunle contacted a warm spring resort. All was set until his best friend, Tunde, opened his big mouth. When he told Kelly that Kunle was 'the son of the most powerful herbalist in his region' and 'from a place where disputes were settled by the god of thunder', she was too fascinated to consider 'a boring weekend at a cabin'.

Kunle shook his head. Bringing Kelly to the village for the weekend was a bad idea. A high class city chick was a fish out of water here, and an ominous shiver reminded him why even he preferred to stay in the city. The name of his village was Sogigun, which literally meant 'be careful of the tree you climb'. The proverbial meaning was a warning to be careful not to get involved in what might result in your misfortune.

Pinching the bridge of his nose, Kunle hissed. "You shouldn't have peeped in that room. Didn't I tell you not to open any of the doors without asking me first?"

"What's the big deal? I love African art and culture. Gosh, you ought to be happy. I'm eager to go sightseeing here," she retorted.

You dey craze? Which kain sightseeing? You think sey na Elegushi Beach you dey? Kunle thought. He considered informing her about a shocking truth. If she had opened that same door during the last masquerade festival, she would have lost her eyesight instantly. He knew a woman who laid eyes on a forbidden sight when he was in high school. The poor lady travelled home and abroad, but could not find a cure for her sudden loss of vision.

His petite girlfriend pouted and folded her arms. Despite their height difference, she looked him straight in the eyes. "I don't like it when you frown at me. C'mon Honey. Aren't you glad I came?"

"Of course I am. Just try to be more careful, okay? Traditional religion is taken very seriously here, and some places and objects are considered sacred."

She mumbled an apology and an uneasy silence fell upon them. In order to lighten her up, Kunle took her to the Great River. They packed pineapple slices and coconut rice into a picnic basket and left at midday. Walking side by side on the spacious path which led to the river, they passed through a cluster of tall cashew and mango trees.

Several twigs snapped behind them, one after the other. Kelly gasped and looked back. "What was that?" she whispered.

Kunle scoffed. "Relax. It was probably a tiger."

She gripped his arm and dug her nails into his bicep. "T-t-tiger?"

"Ouch! Just kidding." He laughed and dodged her playful smack on his shoulder.

Two men and their children emerged from the forest on the way back from the cocoa farm. They greeted Kunle and went on their way. He teased Kelly that they must have been the tigers in the bush. She rolled her eyes, but her tense demeanor relaxed.

Kelly stopped to pick flowers, and Kunle pointed out an ancient landmark set in stone. At the sight of the water in the distance, Kelly sprinted towards it. Kunle chuckled as he followed her at a slower pace. Seeing his girlfriend so excited about the river he played in as a child warmed his heart.

"Oh my goodness! It's beautiful!" Kelly shouted.

He caught up with her and nodded in agreement. The crystal clear water sparkled, and birds sang sweet melodies in the trees that lined the banks. A few sandstone boulders dotted the land nearby, and the fresh air was laced with the scent of damp earth. He fondly remembered laying on the big rocks after finishing his farm chores when he was a boy. Before he could set their picnic basket down, Kelly stripped down to her underwear and leapt into the water. She giggled when she came up for air.

"It's so freakin' cold."

"Yeah. Have fun."

"Don't be so boring, Kunle."

"I don't want soggy boxers."

"Who needs boxers to go swimming?" Kelly asked. She wagged her eyebrows and bit her lip.

Kunle laughed but dipped his hands in his pockets. It looked like fun but he could not explain why he preferred to decline.

She splashed around and insisted that he join her. "Stop over thinking things. Life isn't all about calculations."

"Are you saying that to an accountant?" Kunle joked.

She ignored his question and chanted. "Take it off! Take it off! Take it off!"

A smile tugged his lips. "Fine. Teachers are so bossy."

Kunle took off his shirt and jeans and flung them aside. She groaned when he did not discard his underwear, but kept cheering. Her enthusiasm made him high, but not enough to jump in butt naked. He somersaulted into the water with a big splash, and they spent the afternoon swimming before having lunch on the rocks.

During their meal, Kelly stopped eating abruptly, and looked over his shoulder. "What's the matter?" Kunle asked.

"Nothing. I could've sworn I saw a shadowy figure in the bushes."

He smiled and caressed her cheek. "Babe, relax. You're imagining things and there's nothing to worry about."