CHAPTER TWO - Tribulation

Crickets chirped outside their bedroom window and the full moon flooded the land with light. The Fabiyi family house was in an isolated area on the outskirts of the village. As usual, it was as silent as the grave because the people kept a fearful distance from the Chief Priest's property.

"I had fun today. Thank you." Kelly murmured as she lay beside Kunle.

He wrapped his arm around her from behind and pecked her shoulder. "Don't mention it."

"Too bad I didn't meet your folks."

Kunle preferred the peace and quiet they enjoyed since they arrived. It was better than his parents and their drama. "I'm kinda glad mum and dad aren't around," he replied with a yawn.

Kelly shrugged his arm off. "Because you're not sure about me?"

"That's not what I meant. Let me exp-"

The floorboards in the hallway creaked, and they both sat upright sharply. Kelly froze when slow footsteps approached their room. Kunle tossed their bed sheet aside and stormed towards the door.

"W-what a-are you d-doing?" Kelly stammered.

He looked back. "Checking to see what made that sound."

"Now's not the time for braggado, Kunle," she snapped.

He ignored her warning and flung the door wide open. There had been stories about seeing spirits in the house and its surroundings, but Kunle was sure people were fabricating spooky tales. Just as he expected, the hallway was empty. He stepped out and flashed a torchlight over the ceiling and the walls. When Kunle did not see or hear anything, he leaned over the staircase and looked downstairs.

"Hey."

"What the heck? Don't creep up on people, Kelly."

"Oops. Sorry."

Before they could return to bed, Kelly pointed a trembling finger at the shrine room. "L-look! The door is open," she gasped.

He cast a carefree glance in that direction, and his heart thudded in an irregular beat when he saw that it was indeed open. The door swung on its hinges and screeched with each movement.

"Calm down, Kelly. I'll go and close it. Maybe the lock is broken."

They went down the old-fashioned stairs, and their cautious steps echoed in the house. Kelly tarried at the foot of the staircase, and Kunle strode towards the room to secure the door. Just before he could lay his hand on the doorknob, a bright red light shone from within the room.

Blood ran cold in his veins. Despite his inability to move, he could still hear Kelly screaming on one spot behind him. She must have been immobile too. In a fleeting moment of clarity, he recollected an incantation his father taught him. His frozen body regained strength and the sound of a baby crying drew him into the room.

Inside, a beautiful newborn child lay on a mat wrapped in a sparkling shawl and Kunle proceeded with caution to approach the baby. Before he could lay a hand on the child, it shape shifted. A tall, feminine being with a red wrapper tied around its body and green reptilian skin faced him squarely. Its black eyes were slits which surveyed his body from head to toe. The weeping baby noise ceased immediately.

"Ifakunle, son of Ifabiyi," It cackled. "My true form should not shock you. I have just returned from many cycles in the family of your father's enemy. After several bouts of being born and dying, they are destitute and still in mourning. On which errand do you wish to send me tonight?"

Kunle coughed to clear his dry throat, and fought to control his trembling tongue. "Return to where you came from. I have no task for you."

It scoffed. "Yes, you do."