CHAPTER FOUR - Everything

The bus ride back to Lagos was long but stress free. Palm trees and simple, quiet streets gradually gave way to high rise buildings and busy roads. Waking as early as farm roosters prevented them from getting caught up in the notorious traffic jams. When Kelly's eyes drooped and she fell asleep, Kunle ensured that he stayed as still as possible in order not to wake her. He'd take the gentle humming of the engine over chit chat, because his noisy thoughts craved silence.

When they reached the motor park, passengers rushing to alight from the bus woke Kelly up. "Are we there yet?" she asked.

Kunle shook his head as he reached for his bags. "No. Wait right here, I'll be back soon."

Since Kelly was a Lagos babe, he wasn't surprised that she was out almost as fast as he was. She poked her tongue out at him before expertly dodging a woman balancing a tray of snacks on her head. Kunle pulled his phone out of his pocket to call his friend to pick them up. Before he could finish dialling the number, something pounced on him from behind and he panicked.

His throat tightened and survival mode kicked in. Fight or flight were two options, but he had no choice but to choose the former.

Kunle gripped hard and was just about to body slam the assailant when it shouted. "Guy! Kilo n sele? What's happening?"

Damn. There was no cause for alarm. It was just Tunde, his best friend. Kunle straightened his pal's rumpled shirt and mumbled an apology.

"Welcome back to civilization," Tunde joked. "We don't do caveman wrestling in the city." He turned to face Kelly, "How was the jungle experience?"

Kelly laughed and told Tunde all about the fresh air, rivers, palm trees and delicious village food. They chatted without a care in the world while Kunle's racing heart beat returned to normal. Even though his pulse had normalised, he must have still been numb with shock. One minute they were at the motor park, the next minute he was at home in his one bedroom flat.

Tunde snapped his fingers in front of Kunle's face. "Bruh. I know you've got that cool guy attitude, but you're even quieter than usual," he said.

"Nothing dey happen. I'm just tired. Where's Kelly?"

Tunde arched an eyebrow. "I dropped her at her house before bringing you here."

"Thanks."

"She pecked your cheek before she left, and you just stared like a zombie, bruh."

Kunle blew out a long breath and flung himself on his bed. Tunde chuckled as he helped himself to the yam and plantain in Kunle's travel bag. "I can bet you my Xbox that if you call Kelly and ask her how she's doing, she'll say, 'fine'."

"Bruh." Kunle smiled for a moment knowing it was true. "She's not like other girls." He heard the fizzle of oil in a hot pan and smelt the sweet aroma of fried plantain before his friend responded.

"If you ask her what the matter is she'll say 'nothing'." Tunde added.

Kunle's stomach grumbled and he couldn't wait to eat. People say a hungry man is an angry man but at that moment, fatigue gnawed at his bones. "We all know 'fine' and 'nothing' both lead up to 'don't worry'."

"Women!" They said simultaneously.

Kunle decided to call Kelly later. For now he just wanted to relax and eat the food his friend had prepared. Maybe after some rest and a good meal he'd open up to his friend about the village ordeal. He also would be able to have a better conversation with Kelly.

****

After stuffing themselves with pepper soup, fried yam and plantain, Tunde gave Kunle a brotherly hug before saying he had to get back to his business. As far as Kunle was concerned, he'd done more than enough. After Tunde went to the trouble of cooking and hanging around, Kunle decided to confide in him at another time. Tunde saw himself out and Kunle retreated into his quiet home. He was happy for his friend and how his life changed. Unemployment had turned out to be a blessing in disguise for him. After job searching for two years, he started a food business. Now could boast of a high income and didn't say 'Yes sir' to anyone. Kunle worked at a financial management firm in Ikeja, but didn't earn as much as Tunde. He considered starting an agric side hustle like a poultry, but concluded he should sort out his demon issue first.

****

Two weeks of jump scares and false alarms later, everything seemed to be okay. Kunle couldn't bring himself to tell his father about his ordeal, but he confided in Tunde. It wasn't as busy as usual at work that day, and they had time to chat during the lunch break.

"Guy! What were you smoking?" Tunde joked. "I heard the village leaves are more intoxicating than the adulterated, city herbs."

Kunle forwarded an account update e-mail to the auditing unit on his phone and rolled his eyes. "Forget I told you anything."

"How am I supposed to forget your Ojuju story? And are you sending e-mails during break time?"

"If you can forget you passwords you should forget my story," Kunle hissed. "And so what if I forward a document during lunch?"

Tunde raised his hands in surrender. "Could you please calm down, Sir," he replied. His face was calm but his eyes twinkled with amusement.

Trying to get Tunde to be serious was almost impossible. He was almost as happy go lucky as Kelly. Kunle dipped his Eba in Egusi soup and sipped a malt drink. He intended to ignore his friend till he was done and returned to his office. Perhaps he needed to give Tunde's restaurant a break.

"So, you don vex be dat?" Tunde asked.

"No."

"Abeg. You no be woman, jare. If you're pissed off say so."

Kunle washed his hands and dried them on a paper towel. "If you had such a traumatic experience you wouldn't be laughing about it," he replied. "You would have run like your ass was on fire."

"Lies! I would have stood my ground and soiled my diaper."

"You're sick."

"But I'm on medication and living a normal life," Tunde retorted.

Kunle almost spat his drink. His friend was unbelievably playful. Since their university days, he had only seen Tunde annoyed once. And that was when a random dude vandalised his car. Apparently, it looked just like the guy's car—which he gave his girlfriend the same week she dumped him.

After a brief chat on a more serious note, Tunde insisted that it must have been a bad dream. He added that Kunle must have been anxious in Chief Orioka's place. Kunle gave it some thought. His dad's place did give him the creeps. He also wasn't ready to introduce Kelly to his parents. The pregnancy news also came as a shock. Perhaps all his concerns and that environment projected itself into his dreams.

After all, would a demon attack and leave them alone just like that?

"Life is simple," Tunde concluded.

Just as Kunle rose to leave, an e-mail notification popped up on his phone. A multinational fintech company he applied to months ago sent it. His eyes scanned the contents and tension morphed into joy. It was a congratulatory message and official letter of employment. His eyes widened at the sight of his new salary. It was three times his current pay. An official staff quarters was also part of the benefits.

Tunde put his hands in his pockets. "What is it?"

"I've been hired by AlphaZenTech."

"The AlphaZenTech?" he asked.

"Yeah." Kunle's mind reeled. Going from tense to delighted in a flash made him feel light headed.

Tunde clapped him on his back. "Congrats! This calls for a celebration. This is your dream job. Right?"

Kunle nodded. Before he could gather his senses, Kelly called him. His voice trembled when he answered. "Hello?"

"OMG! Honey!" she squealed. "I've been promoted."

"Really? Wow. That's great, Kel."

"I'm now the new H.O.D. of the Pure and Applied Chemistry department," she added.

"Congratulations. I've got news too." He shared his own update with her and she squealed even louder. With promises to see each other after work, they ended the call.

Tunde shrugged. "See? Everything is even better than okay."

Kunle was skeptical. The unexpected good news and the timing of him and Kelly's new appointment made him suspicious. On one hand, it could be a double blessing. One the other, they could be livestock fattened before slaughter.