Chapter 5

MATEO ||

Ay Dios Mio... this has got to be the stupidest thing Jett has ever done and that's saying a lot considering this man actually set fireworks off inside the house once.

After bidding what I was sure was Rhogon's money, we all walked up to the cashier and Jett handed them a black card. I pass a glance to Zayne who mirrors it.

Considering the only ones that actually owned a black card were myself, Rho and Zayne because we were the most responsible when it came to pack finances, Jett was in for it when we got home.

"Thank you very much gentlemen and congratulations on your prize." The cashier smiles as she motions for us to follow the guards that wait by the stage.

The four Vamps take us behind a black curtain that blocks backstage from the rest of the auction and then we walk through an open steel door and come out to where I'm sure nightmares are made of.

There was nothing but darkness illuminated by candles and torchlights back here. Cages lined the hallways with creatures trapped inside. There were whips and chains and batons on every wall and in every guard's hands. It smelled like blood and was covered in a heaviness that didn't sit well with me.

Walking inside, I instantly frown when I see three other vamps holding a chain in their gloved hands with what I could only assume was Brody attached.

Our new little breeder had his back turned to us and was on his knees, hunched over on the ground with the chains still wrapped around his chest, binding his arms behind him.

"This seems wrong. Could this place be anymore inhumane?" — Lennox whines, his ears flattening against his head as he observes everything.

The Auctioneer startles me when he comes up behind the guards that are holding Brody. He smiles brightly at us, showing off his impressive fangs.

"Congratulations gentlemen, I hope you enjoy your prize. Here's your remote control that's linked to Brody's shock collar." He says, quickly handing me the remote that I take and pocket. "Use that sparingly, Brody is a very obedient boy, he just takes a little getting used to. Although I can't say the same for his counterparts."

His words bring me pause as I look down at Brody, who I still couldn't see any parts of besides his back and his arms that were still painfully chained behind him.

"Why do you say his counterparts take some getting used to?" I ask looking back at the auctioneer. "Do you mean his wolf? Is he aggressive?"

"No, not aggressive. Just different and his appearance is," He pauses searching for the right word. "Interesting." He pauses again before looking over his shoulder. "Unlike the others, there will be no refunds on this creature. So make it as you will."

My eyes narrow. I see Jett take a step back while Zayne and Hendrix come up behind me. None of us liking the description and slight twinge of fear the Auctioneer showed.

"Anywho, I hope you enjoy your prize and thank you so much for your bidding. I hope to see you all again some day." The auctioneer smiles before motioning for the guards to hand over Brody's chain.

I put on the gloves they provided us with and grab the chains after a moment of hesitation, knowing I would be taking him out of these as soon as we get out of this facility.