Invisible

"What happened? Where is she?"

My heart was pumping a thousand miles per minute. Sweat and tears blurred my vision as I crashed through the hospital doors. Jamie's mother wept in a nearby chair. Next to her sat Andy, who looked as if he had seen a ghost. My mind couldn't process how this could happen after I left her alone.

That was it. I chose to leave, and now she was leaving me.

"How could you?" Mrs. Miller yelled, walking up to me.

"I didn't mean to-" She didn't let me finish.

"She needed you and you ignored her." That hurt.

A pounding started in my eardrums.

"You left her, and now she's dead." Andrew stood before me with a finger in my face.

"No, that's ... that's not true. Jaime is fine. She's going to be just fine." I shook my head at his words countless times.

"You killed her, the only girl you ever loved, you killed her."

"I love her!"

My mouth felt numb and it hurt to speak. Pushing past them, the hall grew dark as one light flickered like it was hanging by a thread.

"Jaime... Jaime, I'm here." My hands were shaking.

I pleaded, as I stepped to the small door window that separated me and the redhead. Out of instinct, I turned the handle to open it, but it was locked. All I could do was watch her chest rise and fall from a distance. Before I let panic set in, I tried to open the door once more.

"Jamie, it's locked. I can't open the door. Please." Hot tears started to pour down my face as I slammed my hand into the door as if she could hear me knocking. I felt like a helpless puppy.

"You can't go, I need you, Jamie, please. Don't leave me!"

Her bed started to move farther away from the door as the beeping sound of the monitor grew louder.

BEEP... BEEP...BEEP...it was steady.

"Jaime!" I yelled louder, throwing a fist at the window. Red liquid followed as I dragged my hands downward. I looked down at my clothes.

 It was everywhere. 

Blood. 

Her blood.

"Jamie, I'm sorry ok? I didn't get to you in time and I'm so sorry!" I still fought to get in.

BEEP..BEEP..BEEP..BEEP.

There it was again, but it picked up the pace as it grew louder.

"Jaime please!! Dont-Dont do this to me!" I cried through my blurry vision. This couldnt be happening. I refuse to believe it. 

BEEEEEE----  It stopped? Why did it stop? I looked up and her chest was no longer moving. The monitor yelled at me as it flatline. My body went numb as I continued to fight the door to get to her. 

"Nooo!" Words were impossible to form at this point, everything was a scratchy pitched cry. I continued to yell on the other side of the window. She disappeared into the dark abyss of nowhere.

"Jaime...Jaime!"

I sat up as everything was dark. Sweat covered me in tangled sheets. My hand was on my chest. Wide-eyed, I slipped on my lamp to check my clothes.