new fear unlocked: hot drinks

Mayson

It was Monday afternoon and I just came home from biking to school. Yes, I got it fixed. Right now I was heading to work and passing by the Jackson's shops.

"Hey, Mrs. Jackson." I greeted walking into her braiding salon and plopping down onto one of her waiting chairs.

She was in the middle of braiding someone, goddess braids, from the looks of it. What? I've picked up on a few things from being around them all the time. I know how to do cornrows and box braids, Ryan taught me.

"Hey sweetheart, how was school?" She said glancing up at me, completely focused on her work.

"It was alright, same old." I yawn.

"Could you warm up sum' water for me? I'm bout' done here." She said, braiding one of the last few braids.

"Sure." I replied, getting up to warm up some water.

As the water was warming up, my mind couldn't help but drift to a certain blonde girl.

She was undeniably beautiful, but that's besides the point. What was really on my mind was the fact she was nothing like I expected.

Sure, she was still snobbish at times but not to the extent I expected. Her family could quite literally own my entire apartment complex, and now that I think about it, the idea doesn't seem so far off.

If anything she seems really... sad. Well, not sad, just really.... hopeless. I don't really know, I could be reading into it too much, but then again It's not hard to read her.

Anyone purely observing her, with no ulterior motive, could see there was something going on in her life that she wasn't letting on. The fake smiles and perky attitude is so clearly a front it's a wonder nobody else has noticed.

But every now and then, she'll crack a small smile at one of my dumbass jokes and, by God, it might be one of my greatest accomplishments. I know, pathetic really, but there's nothing better than brightening up someone's day.

A blaring timer pulled me out of thoughts. I picked the hot water up from the microwave with a towel and steadily made my way over to Mrs. Jackson, "Here you go." I said, handing her the water carefully.

Mrs. Jackson just took the water out of my hands, without the towel and just started apply the steaming water to the end of the girl's braids.

I look at her bewildered, towel in hand, as she just picked up steaming water with her bare hands like it was nothing, "Thank ya', baby." She smiled, kissing my cheek.

"H-how... did you just..." I sputtered, pointing at the water, "You know what? Forget it, obviously you have some super power I don't know about." I grumble.

Mrs. Jackson chuckled before waving me off, "Ryan helpin' her Pa in the shop, if you lookin' for her."

"Alright, see you later Mrs. Jackson." I waved goodbye after kissing her cheek.

I made my way next door, to Mr. Jackson's gas station.

"Ah Mayson! Perfect timin'! You mind watchin' the register for me? I gotta take a dump." Mr. Jackson asks hopefully.

"Sure." I reply with a hint of disgust.

"Life saver! Won't take longer than 40 minutes, promise!" He says than runs to the back with a newspaper in hand.

My eyes widen, "40 minutes?! Mr. Jackson I have work!" I yell after him. Of course I get no reply and I grumble as I hop the counter to the register.

It was currently 3:20 and my shift starts at 4:00, I can't be late or my dickhead of a boss will get on my neck.