too soon?

Mayson

Mom. Paris said "mom". As in her mother. As in the person who gave birth to her.

Shit.

Paris heavily swallowed and glanced at me with fearful eyes, "Mom, I didn't know you were coming." She said softly.

"Yes well, tonight is just full of surprises isn't it?" She said distastefully, glancing at me.

Paris noticed the look and quickly wrapped her hand around my arm, "Mom this is my..." She trailed off.

"Your...?" Her mother asked, squinting her eyes.

"Girlfriend." She said softly, causing my eyes to widen, "Girlfriend." She said more firmly, "She's my girlfriend."

"Oh?" Her mother said shocked, putting on a firm, fake smile, "Isn't that just... lovely."

"Is that my little girl?" A booming voice sounded from behind Paris's mother, "Dad?" Paris said.

Well isn't that just great. Not like I wasn't already struggling to comprehend that her mother was here, now her father is too.

Sometimes I wonder if God really does hate me, and if all gay people are going to hell.

Paris's dad was wearing a white suit matching his wife who was wearing a white ball gown. His greying hair and beard were perfectly trimmed and he had a watch that looked like it cost more than my entire apartment complex paired with another pocket watch dangling from his pocket.

Why he needed two watches I'll never know.

"Paris, darling we-" Paris's dad started, "Oh, who's this?" He asked, his tone completely changing once he saw me.

"Apparently this is Paris's girlfriend." Paris's mother hummed, "Sorry, I didn't quite catch your name." She said, looking me up and down.

"It's Mayson." I said reaching my hand out, "Mayson Amore." I said trying to keep my voice firm and confident, "It's nice to finally meet you Mr. and Mrs. Du Pont."

Her mother looked at my hand than back to my eyes before reluctantly shaking my my hand then quickly pulling her hand back.

I extended my hand towards her father as well who actually firmly shook my hand without hesitation, looking me right in my eyes. I shook his hand just as firm and maintained his eye contact until he pulled away.

"So Mayson is it?" Paris's father asked, "Where did you two meet?" He asked.

"School." I answered.

"Mayson was helping me in Physics, she's extremely smart." Paris piped in, putting her hand on my shoulder.

"Helping you?" Paris's mother raised her eyebrow, "What could you possibly need help for, you excel in school." Her mother said, "Much less from someone like you." She said facing me.

"Mother." Paris warned quietly, her mother returning Paris's gaze with a disinterested look of her own.

"Julien, Alice, is that you?" Stella came up to us, smiling from ear to ear. Anyone who really knew Stella could tell the smile was fake. I didn't know Stella all that well and I could tell you it was obviously fake.

Paris's mother, Alice, clearly could not as she returned the greeting with a genuine smile, "Stella dear, it's good to see you." She smiled kissing each of Stella's cheeks in that weird way rich people do.

"My have you grown, Stella, you look beautiful." Julien, Paris's father smiled as well.

"Thank you both. I didn't know you guys were coming, what a surprise!" Stella forcefully smiled, glancing at Paris and I with a "what the fuck" look.