Chapter Two: "An Odd World"

Veronica slowly wakes up to the sounds of children screaming and fire crackling all around her. There's fire everywhere, the bus overturned, and smoke filling the air in thick clouds.

Veronica looks over at Maya, who's passed out cold, clutching her Green plushie close to her chest. Veronica tries to reach out for her little sister, but she soon loses consciousness.

The last thing she sees before passing out again is Green's unsettling smile as her world fades to black.

— — — —

"Slap her on the face or something!"

"No, I don't wanna hurt her!"

"Just do it, Maya, or she'll never wake up."

"Okay, fine... One, two, three..."

Veronica feels a hand slap her on the face harshly, causing her eyes to snap open instantly. She sits upright, her brain in a jumble of thoughts. Where the hell is she? What the hell happened? She looks around wildly for a moment until her eyes land upon a worried Maya and her friend Ruby standing beside her.

"Maya! Oh, god, I thought I'd lost you!" Veronica immediately lunges forward and throws her arms around her younger sister. Maya lets out an audible squeak of surprise at the sudden embrace before returning the gesture. Her arms wrap tightly around her older sister as she whimpers into her shoulder.

"Where are we...?" Veronica mutters quietly after a few moments, pulling away slightly to look at her surroundings. All kids and chaperones are thankfully accounted for, but that still doesn't ease the fear in her heart. The room looked like some sort of prison, bunk beds lining one side of the room and sleeping bags strewn across the floor.

Amira approaches the girls. "Had a nice beauty rest? Well, good, because now we're stuck in some sort of weird shelter." She says with a small shrug. Veronica rolls her eyes at how nonchalant Amira was acting. "No shit, Sherlock." She scoffs sarcastically. "But... aren't we supposed to be at Odd World?"

Amira sighs heavily and looks down at the ground guiltily. "Stupid bud driver took a wrong turn somehow. The other chaperone and I tried to get him to turn back, but we just ended up crashing the bus." She explains. "Thankfully, none of the kids got hurt too bad, so... at least there's that."

Veronica tries getting up from the bed she was laying on, her legs still wobbly from the bus crash. "I'm just confused. What are we here for? Who saved us?" She turns towards Amira, furrowing her brows together in confusion. "I'll definitely thank them later." Maya pipes up with a quiet giggle.

"Hey, guys? What does this mean?" Jayden points at a poster on the wall, prompting Amira to walk over and inspect it closely.

"Don't let Blue hug you. He might be... hungry?" Amira reads the poster aloud.

Amira looks back at everyone else in the room, her eyes wide with realization

Amira looks back at everyone else in the room, her eyes wide with realization. "We're not where I think we are... are we?" She looks at each and everyone in the room. That's when the door to the room swings open, allowing them to leave the cramped space and begin exploring whatever place they found themselves in.