Chapter Six: "Feed Me"

Amira gently opens the door to Orange's cave, creeping inside silently as to not startle the sleeping lizard. She quickly closes the door behind her and makes her way over to the small hideout across the room. "Okay, Amira, just feed him and everything will be fine..." She murmurs to herself.

Once Amira reaches the hideout, she kneels down next to the food dispenser and pulls the lever down, watching the food pour out into the bowl below it. "Here's your food, little guy." She coos softly to Orange. For a second, she could've sworn that the lizard opened an eye to look at her, but she brushes it off and assumes that she's just seeing things.

Amira takes a seat right outside of the hideout and props her chin on her knees, staring at the floor blankly. She knows that she can try apologizing to Jason later tonight, but that doesn't change the fact that it still hurts. Is she really the worst sister ever? Does Jason really see her that way? What if he never forgives her at all?

Amira looks over at Orange, who is still fast asleep on his ledge, and can't help but allow a smile to appear on her face. At least this silly little lizard is here for her now, right? Even if it is only temporarily.

"Having a good nap?" Amira asks the lizard, only to be met with a loud snore. She giggles a little at the response before turning her attention back to the floor, resting her chin back onto her knees. "Yeah, I'm guessing as much. You're just a big ol' sleepaholic." She shakes her head fondly.

There's a short period of silence before Amira speaks up again. "Hey, Orange?" She says quietly, and still, no response. "Do you ever have those days where you just... wanna give up? Like, you just want to take a break from life, but you know you won't get anywhere doing that, so why bother?" Her voice cracks a bit as tears begin to cloud her vision.

Amira blinks those tears away before continuing. "Sorry, I... I'm being a baby again." She smiles bitterly. "I just miss him, y'know? I miss the Jason that would run into my arms whenever he came home from school, the Jason that thought of me as his brave big sister, and..." She trails off before finally letting a sob escape her lips.

Orange doesn't even stir as Amira cries quietly into her knees; he just keeps sleeping without a care in the world. Amira notices this and laughs softly through her tears, sniffling a bit afterwards. "Yeah, yeah, I know you don't care... It's not something worth crying about anyway..." She wipes at her eyes with the sleeve of her shirt.

Amira finally manages to calm herself down after a few moments and looks back up at Orange. "And, uhm... If you could do me one small favor..." She hesitates as she tries to find the right words to say. "Could you protect Jason for me...? I know it sounds dumb, but... I just don't want him getting hurt..." She finishes with a quiet mumble.

Orange finally seems to move a little in his sleep when Amira says that, but he still looks pretty disinterested. Nonetheless, Amira feels a smile tugging at her lips. This time, it's not some sort of act she's decided to put on for the sake of someone else. This time, she truly believes that Orange will keep Jason safe.

"Thanks, Orange." Amira lets out a happy sigh. "I'm glad you're here with me."

That's when the alarm begins to sound throughout the building. Orange's eyes shoot wide open at the rude awakening, and their first target is Amira.

— — — —

Green continues to hold Maya in his arms, throwing her up into the air and catching her as she giggles loudly in excitement. Veronica watches the two with her arms crossed impatiently, waiting for her little sister to stop goofing off and get back to helping her find the last remaining fuses.

"Alright, that's enough now. It's time for me and Maya to get going." Veronica tells them as she puts her hands on her hips, causing Green to finally set Maya down on her feet. Maya frowns sadly and looks up at the friendly monster before hugging him tightly. "Bye-bye, Green..." She whispers into his stomach.