chapter seven:

ƇӇƛƤƬЄƦ ƧЄƔЄƝ"petal on the vine, too young to drink wine. just five years a bleeder, student and a teacher."

Rick grabs several packets of rubber gloves and beige raincoats down in the store. He takes the silver and blue pendant from the counter whilst he's still there and heads for the storage unit. Rick hands out gloves and raincoats to the group. They all tear the packaging, slipping into the gear hesitantly. 

"If bad ideas were an olympic sport," Glenn says, making a face, "this would take the gold." 

"He's right," Morales agrees, "we should just stop, think this though. We've still got some time left." 

Rick raises an eyebrow. "Time?" He shakes his head and buttons up his own beige raincoat. "We don't got time. Walkers already got through one set of doors and they'll get through the second ones just as fast. Now c'mon," he says, motioning towards the back door of the building, "let's go." 

Glenn moves out into the alley first, holding a bat between his hands and standing as guard. Rick and Merle follow after him, dragging a dead walker back into the storage unit. The affair is quick and simple, done in less than two minutes. Rick closes the door as soon as Glenn is back inside. 

While the group stands around the dead walker in a circle, probably contemplating their decisions, Rick breaks the glass of a safety box on the wall. He pulls out a red fire axe and joins the others, feeling something like giddiness simmer in his stomach. He's got a heavy weapon in his hand and something to destroy. What more could he possibly want? Rick schools his expression, it's best if no one notices his excitement right now.  

"We're not actually going to do this, are we?" Jacqui asks, fiddling with her rubber gloves. "I mean–" 

Rick doesn't hear the rest of her sentence. He raises the axe and brings it down into the walker with one swift, powerful movement. He does it again and again, not hearing Andrea's whimpers nor Jacqui's terrified sobs. He does, however, hear Glenn's mutter off, "maybe he was an organ donor." 

Soon, the walker is cut off into pieces, no longer looking human at all. His legs and arms are separated from his torso, head decapitated and kicked somewhere into a corner. Rick's raincoat is covered in dark blood and the lack of muscles in his arms is steadily tiring him out. Slightly out of breath, Rick holds the axe out to Merle. "Your turn," he says. 

Merle meets his gaze and something like understanding flickers across his face, plain and simple, with a spark of fear. He takes the axe, "yer as cold as ice, friendly." 

Rick's been called worse; freak of nature, ticking time bomb, monster… cold is pretty much a compliment in his books. He's not even fazed by it. "You missin' bein' cuffed to the roof?" He asks, tilting his head ever so slightly. 

Merle shakes his head and gets to work, chopping up the walker's torso. Behind him, Glenn gags. "I think I'm gonna hurl." 

"Later," Rick says, watching as guts and intestines float out of the walker's stomach, glistening with blood. Merle looks just as unfazed as Rick, or maybe he's just pretending, either way. "Everybody got gloves, right?" Rick asks. 

Merle stops chopping up the walker and the group nods collectively. 

"Don't get any on your skin or in your eyes," the alpha orders. The wolves and humans lower themselves to the remains of the walker and gather up blood, pieces of decayed flesh and organs. They smear the mix onto Rick, Glenn and Merle. 

Glenn whimpers. At the sound, Rick's shoulders tense. Got to protect, he thinks, but from what? "Think about something else," he says, placing a gloved hand onto the omega's shoulder, "like puppies and kittens."