chapter sixteen:

I'm alive 😭 idk for how long but I'm here, y'all 💀 i apologise for the long wait!

I've got a new job now 🤡 I'm a florist and, uh, it's not all its up to be ladies and gents and my nb friends 🙄 12 hour shifts are not for me 😭 i am looking for something else so let's hope I find a new job ASAP 🙏

________________________________________

Chapter Sixteen: "And you're lookin' crazy and you're lookin' wrong.
We look like we belong (pretty little psycho.)"

The day's slowly coming to an end, the vast blue of the sky gradually changing colours from orange to pink; casting the quarry and its surroundings in a soft golden glow. Rick's been purposefully avoiding Ren's gaze for the better part of an hour now. Partly because he's embarrassed and partly because he fears for his life; he has, after all, learned that his omega can be very terrifying when he wants to be.

"So," Ren says, amusement heavy in his tone as he jogs up to Rick, trying to keep up with his long strides, "you wanna marry me?" 

Rick doesn't even have to glance at his omega to know that he's grinning, wide and smug, his little snickering quiet and mirthful. He doesn't answer the question, merely slows down his pace for Ren and continues through the shrubbery, walking deeper into the woods for a perimeter check. 

"Well," Ren continues on, filling the silence with his bemused voice, "I suppose the whole marriage thing will only matter if you find me a nice ring. And who knows? Maybe by then I'll have an Alpha who'll actually talk back to me—" 

Quick as a whip, Rick has Ren pushed against the nearest tree, caging him in with his arms and body, pressing them flush together. Heat spreads to Ren's cheeks, making them pink and Rick fights to hold back a delighted rumble when he hears his omega's breath hitch. 

"Not if," Rick says, finally matching his gaze with Ren's. He's surprised at the sudden lowness of his voice. His heart beats wildly behind his ribcage. The thought of losing his omega to some lesser, weak minded, undeserving alpha makes him both furious and anxious at the same time. "When," Rick amends, voice rough and gravelly, laced with a hint of threat, "when I find you a nice ring." 

"Mhhm," Ren nods, small, soft, staring up at Rick with wide, grey eyes. He places a palm right over Rick's heart and leaves it there. His other hand moves to cover the span of Rick's cheek and the line of his jaw — it's soft, tender, almost…delicate, like Ren's being purposefully careful. Awestruck by his omega's gentleness, the alpha leans into the simple touch like he's drunk, swaying with the movement, absolutely besotted, drowning in the mixture of their scents; bitter and rich, the ozone mixing with chocolate smoothly.

"You're very easy to rile up," Ren's voice is quieter now, more of a murmur, and Rick blinks slowly, almost like a cat, nuzzling affectionately into his omega's palm. His heart skips and heat pours into every crevice of his body, filling him steadily up. Without a doubt, Rick knows Ren can feel the rapid pulse of his tender heart beneath the soft, soft warmth of his palm. 

"That's 'cause you know exactly how to annoy me," Rick says, sounding just as quiet as Ren, "it'd be nice if you didn't, though." 

His omega smiles, the curl of his mouth more teasing than anything else. Crinkles appear at the corners of Ren's grey eyes and Rick fights the urge to literally swoon. 

"Yeah?" Ren asks, slowly moving his thumb back and forth over the alpha's cheek. 

"Yeah," Rick murmurs, mouth dry and instincts high. They stay like that for a single, quiet moment and then Rick shifts, catching his omega by the back of his thighs and easily lifts him up, grinning when Ren lets out a small, surprised sound, his hands flying to hold onto Rick's shoulders.