chapter eight:

ƇӇƛƤƬЄƦ ЄƖƓӇƬ: "and every road you take, will always lead you home."

Rick hotwires a muscle car; a cherry red challenger. The alarm blares, loud and annoying, echoing up and down the deserted street. He watches as Glenn fumbles into the driver's seat, hesitant, and Ren slides into the passenger side, immediately pulling down the sun visor and opening up the glove compartment. 

Rick moves around the challenger and places his palm flat atop the red roof. It's warm. He peers into the car with narrowed blue eyes and gives his omega a flat look

"Something wrong, officer?" Ren asks, placing a pair of navy sunglasses onto his nose. He must have found them inside the glove compartment. The omega leans back into the leather seat, curling his pretty, pretty, pink mouth into a smirk. 

"Course not," Rick says, even though he feels his chest constrict uncomfortably. The thought of separating from his omega, if only for a little while, makes his teeth ache. All he wants to do is bite at Ren's slim, tanned throat, mark him up good and proper, so that everyone knows he's taken. 

Ren hums and moves the sunglasses into his hair, pushing his bangs away from his face. He shifts, sitting closer to the window and tilts his head up, exposing the unmarked skin of his neck. Rick doesn't even think, just wraps his hand around the side of his omega's neck, slips his fingers into surprisingly long black hair and squeezes gently, softly, rubbing his thumb underneath Ren's jaw. 

The omega's collar is even thinner than he'd thought it would be and Rick moves his thumb underneath the soft material instead, rubbing slowly and purposefully over the skin he finds there, making sure his scent stays. He gets a low, rewarding purr and rumbles in response, momentarily forgetting about his surroundings. 

All too soon, Rick pulls his hand away, reluctant. He feels like a recovering alcoholic who's just stumbled upon a crate of booze, free and easy to take. He's thirsty and hungry and wants nothing more than to have Ren curled in his lap, making soft sounds and calling him alpha

The urge only intensifies when he scents the air. He can't let Ren leave. Not when he smells like Rick right now; dark and rich, like hot chocolate on a winter's day, mixed in with thunder and lightning. His omega smells so, so good. Rick's thoughts are quickly clouded by the imagery of Ren underneath him, warm and wet and wanting

The hand he has atop the red car curls into a tight fist. Rick wills his voice to be steady. "Glenn," he calls, flickering his gaze to the driver's side. The kid is facing the window, giving Rick and his omega an air of privacy. The tips of his ears are bright red. 

"Y-yeah?" Glenn asks, turning hesitantly back around. 

"Don't forget to raise the others," Rick says, uncurling his fist. "Those roll-up doors at the front of the store, that area? That’s what I need cleared. Tell them to get down there and be ready." 

"Right," Glenn nods, grabbing the steering wheel, "I'm on it." 

After he's sure that both Ren and Glenn have their seat belts secured around them, Rick pats the roof of the challenger and steps away. He motions for them to leave and Glenn presses his foot down onto the accelerator and like a fish taking to water, he speeds off, whopping and yelling as he turns a swift corner. Rick can just about hear Ren yelling, "later, Ricky!" 

Ricky, he echoes internally, that's new. Rick's never been called Ricky before. He's not quite sure what to make of it. 

Merle snorts from where he's sat in the passenger seat of the van, arms perched upon the open window. He says, "yer not evil. Yer just some s-o-b who's wrapped all nice an' tight aroun' his omega's pinky finger." The beta makes a considering face. "S'adorable."