Chapter 32

"Hey, do you want to join our team?"

At your silence, Urumi gave you guys a sweet smile, "no pressure or anything."

Ippei floundered, "it's not that I don't want to...it's just..."

He glanced back at the two of you, looking utterly lost. You knew Chishiya would accept the invitation, so you stayed quiet and just stared at Urumi.

"Do you want to join?"

You didn't expect him to ask for your opinion. At the sudden use of English, Urumi's eyebrows shot up, and you gazed at her wearily, unable to tell if she was pleasantly or unpleasantly surprised.

"Up to you," you shrugged, "just know that I don't trust her at all."

"Okay," he accepted, switching back to Japanese, "we'll join."

Urumi's grin was almost blinding, and you were stumped at why she was so delighted to have a Cheshire cat, a minion, and an almost-murderer on her team. You brushed it off.

You expected her to breeze past and keep inviting others to join her team, but she stepped towards you, footsteps light. You resisted the urge to back away, and kept your ground as she stopped not even a foot away from you.

You didn't want to make eye contact, but the proximity made it impossible to look anywhere but her face. Her mouth was still twisted in that sweet smile, and her eyes did nothing to hide her curiosity.

She leaned in, lips brushing your ear, "you're a good liar." She pulled back just as fast, and there was a twinkle in her eye as she spoke, "I am so excited to have you on my team."

You felt a little light-headed, mouth agape as you watched her prance away. People shot you curious looks, and your bewilderment turned into rage as you decided that the old woman had ruined your time here once and for all.

You now had a cheerful psychopath on your tail, and the more you thought about it, the more furious you got.

A hand clasped your shoulder, "hey, relax."

"I don't trust her one bit," you grit out, "tell me my symbol."

A pause. Then a hand brushed your hair away, revealing your collar.

"Clubs."

You filed that information into your mind, desperately stomping down your trust issues and hoping that your head isn't blown off within the next hour.

"Yours is Diamonds."

He hummed an affirmation, and you turned to look at Ippei. He was still looking between you two, eyes flickering back and forth. You gestured for him to come over, and he shuffled closer.

"I'll tell you your symbol, okay?"

He nodded, a jerky movement, before turning around. Spades was plastered on the back of his collar.

"Spades."

He gave you a small bow in thanks, and you smiled encouragingly.

"Everyone, please gather around."

Urumi was standing near the front of a curved, wooden podium, and her followers were gathered dutifully around her.

Chishiya started his way over, you willed your body to move, and winced slightly at the pull on your side. Ippei noticed, and he gave you a worried look, "do you need help?"

You were going to decline, but then decided to accept his help as this was an opportunity to build your relationship with him. It was a bit arrogant of you to hope that Ippei wouldn't leave this world because of your friendship, but right now that is all you have.

You looped an arm over Ippei's shoulders and he was careful not to touch your injured side.

"King of Spades," you provided.

He gave you a sympathetic glance, and you tried to shrug, "almost got away, got shot."

"Are.." he cleared his throat, "are you okay?"

You hummed, "no, it hurts."

He looked like he didn't know how to reply so you laughed to fill the silence. You two had managed to make it to Urumi by the time she finished her turn. Everyone had truthfully told her the correct symbol, and another girl practically jumped to be next. Urumi stayed on the podium, leaning heavily against the bannister and checking her nails.

"Spade."

"Yes, you're a spade."

"Spade."

Various people murmured the answer, and time flew by as each person stepped forward, revealing their symbols. You bit back the urge to shout the wrong answer at the old lady, and compromised by glaring.

Soon almost everyone had gone except for you, Chishiya and Ippei. People glanced at you skeptically, and you tried your best to not look sheepish as you limped your way over.

You made eye contact with Urumi, who was watching you with rapt attention.

You ignored her and brushed your hair to the side.

A chorus of clubs could be heard, albeit quieter than usual. You relaxed the tension in your shoulders, trusting that you would at least make it through this round. Ippei and Chishiya went up, both spades and diamonds respectively.

Soon enough, the timer was ticking to its end, and the rest had started filing into their cells. You picked a random one, noting how Ippei had followed you and chose the cell next to you. You stepped in, giving the plain, white walls that surrounded you a once over.

The door clamped shut.

'Please give your answer.'

Your voice was slightly shaky, "clubs."

There was silence, and then you heard the small click of the door unlocking behind you.