Chapter 46

Your shoes clanged against steel mesh flooring, navigating your way through the maze of pipes and metal. You finally emerged in an open space where others were waiting for the game to commence. Some were stretching, others were warming up, and you were scanning the scene for a certain person.

You spotted him in the corner, and his eyes met yours. He looked tired, you could see exhaustion in his every breath, nonetheless your heart soared, and you stumbled over.

You caught a glimpse of his smile before pulling him into a bone-crushing hug. His arms circled your waist, and you flinched as he made contact with your newly dressed wound.

He immediately pulled back, concerned.

"What happened? Are you okay?"

You smiled sheepishly, "yeah, I'm okay. Just a bullet."

"A bullet?!"

You waved him off, "no biggie, Chishiya took care of it."

At the mention of him, you felt your heart clench. You missed the asshole.

"Wait, you got shot? Why? How? Why are you playing a spades game–"

You grinned, cutting him off with a a hearty slap on the back. He stumbled.

"I'm okay! Promise!"

He looked unconvinced, and you cocked your head back to call for Usagi and Kuina when you noticed a male talking to them. Their shoulders were tense, Usagi placing a protective hand over Kota's shoulder. Noticing the predicament, you and Arisu made your way over.

You only caught the ends of his sentence "–weighs us down, I'll do what I have to–" before he stalked away.

Kuina flipped off his retreating back, and Usagi finally turned and noticed the two of you. Her eyes widened, and Arisu wasted no time in pulling her in, wrapping his arms around her.

You let the two have their reunion, and glanced at Kuina.

"What was that about?"

"Asshole wanted to threaten us, I was about to punch his face in."

You hummed, giving Kota a smile when you caught him looking at you. He blinked owlishly, before trotting over.

You were unprepared for the question that left his mouth.

"Are they boyfriend and girlfriend?"

A surprised snort left Kuina's mouth. You elbowed her and she folded, turning her face off to the side. You could see her shoulders shaking with mirth.

Kota blinked up at you innocently, and you grinned, "no."

He frowned, as if not believing you.

Smile growing wider, you crouched down, whispering loudly, "they're married."

Understanding flooded his face, making an 'ohh' sound as if it made perfect sense. Kuina couldn't hold it in and started howling with laughter.

You still had a shit-eating grin on your face as a hand gripped your head in a somewhat threatening manner. You glanced up to see a pair of unimpressed faces, and you lost it.

Kuina and you laughed non-stop, fueled further by the 'congratulations' Kota gave them.

By the time you managed to reel in your giggles, a white screen emerged from the once-blank surface.

You sobered up immediately, a robotic voice ringing out.

"Game: Checkmate."