Chapter 39: Share The Vows At The Wake

When you woke up, the first thing you saw was the ceiling; it was a colour you somehow distinctly remembered, though it wasn't where you remembered last sleeping

When you woke up, the first thing you saw was the ceiling; it was a colour you somehow distinctly remembered, though it wasn't where you remembered last sleeping. You felt for Gerard, who you assumed to be sleeping next to you, but found nothing but empty space. So where the hell were you?

Slowly, you sat up, and felt your heart physically still in your chest. You were back in your apartment, back in Watertown, in your miserable little lonely flat. Here you were, in your bed, in the building you'd left months ago, somehow in the last place you wanted to be.

You stumbled out of bed, adrenaline pumping through your veins, as you scarpered out of the room, panting desperately. Why were you here? Why were you here, where you never really wanted to return to ever again? You arrived at the living room, tripping over yourself, and throwing yourself towards your CD rack, almost too scared to find out if what you suspected was true.

Unfortunately, your fears were proved valid, when you yanked out the Danger Days album, recorded in 2010; and you were meant to be in 2008.

"No, no, no, no," you whimpered, rushing out to the hall, where you locked eyes on your calendar.

December 14th, 2022.

You screamed so loudly you thought you'd rip your voice chords to shreds in your throat.

-

"Gah!" you shot up, off the mattress, sweat dripping off your forehead, kicking off the covers in your terror.

You received a counter yelp in response, from the man next to you, who groggily turned around in confusion, "Hey, what the hell?"

You breathed in sharply, and inspected your surroundings — right, you were at the hotel in Massachusetts, with Gerard next to you, who you'd woken up with your giant screech. What was the date? Oh, yeah, the date was indeed the 14th of December, otherwise known as your wedding day.

With a massive sigh of relief, you sunk back down, with a mumbled apology, the wind leaving you as quick as a flash. Beside you, Gerard moved upwards, so he could see you more clearly, squinting sleepily at you as you caught your breath; "What's wrong?" he asked in a concerned manner, touching your shoulder.

"Just, uh, a nightmare," you replied, with a gulp, running a hand through your hair. "I am completely fine now, though, don't worry," you added hastily, with a wrinkled grimace.

"You're lying," he observed mildly, brushing a flyaway strand away from your face.

"I am," you admitted, curling in on yourself.

There was a slight pause, before he questioned in a shaking voice, "Do you wanna call it off?—"

"No!" you burst out instantly, looking at him pleadingly. "Please don't think that, no. That's the last thing I wanna do."

Gerard softened in relief, and took your hand to kiss it gently, "You know I love you, right?" he asked shyly.

You swallowed thickly, and let out a shaky laugh, "Save it for the occasion."