12

August wasn't particularly thrilled to move from Maryland to Texas. He wasn't fond of the South or its crazy heat. When he landed in the state, he almost regretted accepting the bookkeeper job at his father's advertising company. God knows his mother does.

"What a lovely city," his wife commented when they arrived at their new home. Unlike August, who was already sweaty, she fit right in Dallas with her outlandish wide-brim hat and sunglasses.

Devon is a chameleon. She could blend into any environment she was put into. August admires that quality in her. He wished he was as malleable as her – that he could look at this bookkeeping job as an opportunity rather than an obligation.

He started officially working at his father's advertising company a couple of weeks later. The downtown offices were swanky and had a great view of the city. His daddy certainly had quite a lot of money, considering his offices almost touched the clouds.

His orientation included sitting in a meeting room, watching cars bustle through downtown Dallas while his father and Jonah told him the ins and outs of the company. For almost over a decade, August worked in a remote position for a consulting firm. This onsite position, where his father and Jonah were his shadows, was more draining to his energy than the actual bookkeeping job.

Oddly, swimming or walking his Rottweiler Ladybird no longer centred him after a long day at work. These days, August found flipping through Iverem's journal more grounding when he felt himself spiralling into depression. That night in the gazebo, after Iverem had stormed back to her cabin, August had gone underneath the gazebo to look for her journal. He had planned to return the diary to her the following day, but she'd already left for Texas. Apparently, Jonah and Iverem had broken up.

August will return the journal to her someday. For now, he wants to keep this part of Iverem to himself, just a bit longer – even at this moment, as she looks at him with her big brown eyes and that teasing smile that makes him want to give her the world.

I've dreamt about you almost every night since that day, he wants to tell her. But suddenly, she's falling forward, face first. Just before she faceplants onto the kitchen's marble floor, August catches her by the waist.

A knock booms throughout the house. Jonah rushes to the front door. He halts when he catches sight of Iverem and August. "What's going on?" he says.

"Uhh, I think she might've had too much to drink," August says.

"Shit," Jonah says, reaching for Iverem. August is about to hand her off to him when the knocking starts again. "That must be the coolers I just ordered."

"I can go get them for you."

Jonah shakes his head. "They need my I.D.; take her up to my room before my mom comes in and sees her like this."

August looks from Iverem and back to Jonah, a little perturbed. "Fine."

Thank god the trek to Jonah's bedroom is short. Iverem's fucking cowboy hat kept jabbing into his cheek, and that shit was really starting to annoy him. Even unconscious, she somehow manages to test his patience. After August settles Iverem down onto Jonah's bed, he starts snooping around Jonah's room.

August wanders into his walk-in closet, skimming his fingers along the island that holds his watches and cufflinks. His shoes are neatly lined up underneath racks of clothes. When August gets bored staring at rows of khaki pants, button-ups and loafers, he heads back into the bedroom. The four-poster bed barely takes up any space, and the loveseat and T.V. combo in the corner of the room practically screams money. Jonah's room certainly showcases his ostentatious wealth. August does good for his age, but shit, Jonah does better.

Where is he getting all this money? It can't be all from the company, he thinks.

Royal blue drapes cover the large window facing the backyard. As he pulls the curtains aside, the glint of a golden picture frame catches his eye. The golden picture frame holds a photo of Iverem and Jonah. In this photo, they appear younger, happier, less stressed. Iverem's arm is around Jonah's shoulder, and she's looking at him... she's looking at him as if he's everything she's ever wanted. August never knew she could look at someone like that. His chest burns at the thought of her looking at anyone other than him like that.

I never had a chance.

Iverem murmurs something as she moves to lie on her back. The cowboy hat causes her head to tilt at an uncomfortable angle, so August takes it off her. She grumbles again, and he can't help but smile at her adorableness. A flash of sunlight streaks across her face, illuminating the richness of her skin and the intricacies of her long lashes. Transfixed, he smooths her curly hair. Her curls are soft and thick. He wants to run his fingers through her hair, tug it as she moans his name.

August stops himself before he goes any further. He turns to leave the room. But instead, he locks the door.