24

August was ready to call it quits an hour into the turkey hunting expedition. It was unnaturally cold for a November morning in Austin, and not only was he hungover, but his brother was one-upping him yet again. Jonah had already gotten one kill, while August struggled with his aim. August knew his inability to hunt had nothing to do with his masculinity. Still, the outdated notion made him feel less of a man.

The hunter leading this expedition is a real backwoods type dressed in all cameo. August, Devon, Jonah, and August's father follow behind the hunter as he tracks the turkey routes. They enter the grassland, and the hunter begins blowing a whistle. The group hides underneath a desert willow as best as they can. Turkeys emerge about a half hour later. Some of them cluck. Others gobble, fluttering black and white plumage, their tan-coloured feather tips sparkling in the light.

"They're so beautiful," Devon says.

"We call them the Rio Grande," the hunter says. "They're the most beautiful turkeys you'll ever see."

He then cocks his gun. Jonah and August's father follow the man's lead and do the same. Devon lowers her gun as everyone begins to shoot. Two gobblers meet their demise—the rest scatter.

"Three kills on your first hunting trip," the hunter says. "Good job everyone."

"What do we do now," August's father says.

The hunter hauls the two new turkeys over his shoulders. "We eat," he says.

~

Back at the camp, August and Jonah wait for everyone to join them for lunch. They sit in the lounge across from each other, both gazing at the other with obvious resentment.

"You're a natural with a gun," August says. He's usually not the first to start a conversation. Before he tells his father, August wants to understand why his brother would steal from their company.

"Thanks," Jonah says.

Lately, Jonah hasn't been as enthusiastic toward August. I guess he's tired of putting on the façade, August thinks.

"What's on your mind," he says casually.

"Get to the point, August," Jonah says. " I'm not in the mood to play this game with you today."

August leans back into his chair, savouring the victory. "I assume Omar's already updated you on our conversation."

Jonah maintains his composure. "He has."

August is intrigued by Jonah's continued defiance. He never considered his little brother to be anything but a sneaky rat. Looks like little bro got some balls on him. "And you have nothing else to say?"

This comment sets Jonah on edge. His brother begins tapping his foot and appreciating the scenery. The Austin desert is beautiful, but August doubts it's mesmerizing. "I don't have shit to say to you," Jonah says.

"You don't understand the gravity of this situation. You're stealing money from our family's company," August says. "I'm going to have to tell Dad about this."

Jonah gives August a withering glare. "That wouldn't be very smart of you to do."

"What do you mean?"

" I know some of your secrets, too."

August laughs. What does Jonah think he knows? He doesn't know shit.  August holds his brother's gaze, trying to figure out his play. Does  Jonah know...? He can't possibly know? How does he know? "What could you possibly have against me?"

"I know about what happened with you and Iverem in Colorado," Jonah says, releasing his anger in shallow breaths. "But I wonder if Devon knows."

August lets out a breath he hadn't realized he was holding. His hands feel clammy and damp, and the tightness of his clothes is insufferable. He doesn't know.

"I don't know what you're talking about. Nothing happened between us."

Jonah snorts, and a familiar expression eclipses his face. August is used to receiving this condescending gesture from Jonah whenever his brother knows he's won – whether that be their father's affection, the best grades in school, or some trivial board game. This time, the stakes are more significant. August acknowledges that he's a pretty shitty person. He realizes hell awaits him in the afterlife, but his brother has no remorse for what he's done to their family.

"She told me, and it doesn't take a genius to figure out who she cheated on me with," Jonah says. "You've always had a thing for her."

August's cheeks burn. "No, I don't."

"It doesn't matter what you tell yourself to sleep better at night. You're never going to be with her."

"That's highly presumptuous of you."

"You'll never be with her because she's pregnant with my child, and I'm going to marry her."

August is speechless. How hadn't he noticed this?

"How far along is she?" he says.

"Four months."

At this moment, August realizes something he's not ready to acknowledge. He doesn't want to talk about Iverem's pregnancy or think about the possibility that the time of conception was around July 4th. But as the silence between him and Jonah extends, he surmises that the possibility of Iverem being pregnant with his child is a fact.

"How do you expect me to explain the missing money to Dad?"

"Let me worry about that," Jonah says.

August stifles a sigh. Jonah is back to the games. He wonders how his brother will figure his way out of his situation; August secretly hopes he doesn't. "You think you're the big man around here," he says.

"Bigger man than you? Definitely."