3 ||1978

Leo was nowhere to be found this morning

He wasn't on the bus. Wasn't creeping on me in the garden, or any of my classes. I'm supposed to be happy. Grateful that he found someone else to terrorize. But I'm not. This morning, I expected to see his face when I got on the bus, but I didn't.

I get off the bus, and expect Amara to stay on to head to the diner, but she gets off with Jake.

He has this smug look on his face as he walks into my house like he owns it. He tosses his book bag in the middle of the hallway, cutting me off. Rude.

Jake is so spoiled. Some little rich kid from Decatur Falls, and he's used to getting everything he wants. He wanted the cheer captain, Amara, and he wanted to be the captain of the football team. Got both. Super cliché, if you ask me.

"You tell mom, and you're dead," Amara barks, cutting me a vicious glance. "We'll be in the living room... studying. Stay in your room."

Studying is code for hooking up.

"Didn't realize you were Amelia," I mutter, rolling my eyes.

"What was that, Randi?" my sister asks, being a bitch. She treats me even worse when the school's golden boy is here. His dramatic attitude makes him less cute than he really is. His dark hair floats over his forehead, shading his matching espresso eyes. Not sure how his hair stays in place all day long. Has to be an entire bottle of hairspray.

We're all standing in the kitchen, as I fetch a water bottle, waiting for them to walk away. They are waiting for me to leave and head to my room, as if I didn't live here.

Looking over my shoulder, I say, "Didn't think you were mom, giving orders." I never feed into Amara's crap, but I've been having a shitty two days. My attitude is worse than normal, and my focus has been off. Paranoia does that to you. Makes you delusional and question everything. And I have so many questions. So many that it's giving me a nasty headache, a crappy migraine, it seems.

"Jakes here and now you have balls? Do you have a little crush on my boyfriend, Randi?"

Ew.

I ignore her and hear her footsteps shortly after. But I feel someone else. With my fingers inching to the knife holder, I grab one and turn around. It's just Jake. I feel stupid. My eyes gesture at him and to the knife, finding it hard to drop it.

Wrong person, Randi!

His eyes bug out as he takes a step back. Terror all over his chiseled face. Finally, a stupid hair broke away from the mold. It only took scaring him to death.

"What the fuck!" he shouts, arching his thick eyebrow. "There's something mentally wrong with your little sister, Mar."

I swallow, not exactly sure of an excuse. This has to stop. I can't live like this.