10 || I See Dead People

Last year, I read a book called the Measure by Nikki Erlick

Last year, I read a book called the Measure by Nikki Erlick. To sum it up, one day, everyone over twenty-two receives a personalized box with the words: "The measure of your life lies within."

Inside those very boxes is a string, and that length determines the length of your life. After reading it, I questioned myself if I'd want to know long I'd live, or if I'd ignore it and continue my everyday life.

Of course, at the time, I said I wanted to know. If I had a heads up, then maybe I could change my destiny. But when Leo informed me I only have eight days, my opinion shifted.

I don't want to know when I'm doing to die. I don't want to know how.

Better yet, I don't want to die at all.

For the last four days, I've been researching, trying to prove him wrong. But the proof has been right in my face all along — me. I've been living through every single symptom of a brain aneurysm and didn't even know it. My headaches are excruciating. Vision goes in and out, or double. One side of my face always goes numb, and I've been feeling like I'm about eight months pregnant.

That's not a coincidence, right?

My doctors never caught anything. They would say something, and I've always been healthy, with a side of migraine. They run in my family.

But how the hell do you prepare yourself to die? Where do I even go? I've always been a good person, I think. But do good people question if they've been good?

Leo has been honest about everything besides this, and that's where I'm confused. That's where the book Measure comes in, and the gut wrenching choice I have to make.

Do I ignore Leo, hoping he's wrong, and die without telling everyone goodbye? Or do I just plan out the next four days and see what happens?

Either way, I haven't been able to do nothing but cry, and isolate myself. I haven't eaten much, and didn't even touch the Chinese my mom brought home two days ago.

I'm losing my mind.

I don't know what to do.

Growing annoyed, I chuck the book on reapers at the wall and exhale to calm myself down. My eyes close, and I'm focusing on the sound of my shaky breath.

"Randi?" Avery yells. "Are you alright? Sounds like you fell through the floor."

"Shit!" I jump, shooting my eyes open. "Y-you scared me."

Once she opens the door, she stands between it and the wall, staring at me. "Bad day?"

"I guess you could say that," I whisper, feeling completely drained. I don't even have the energy to look at her. However, realizing that I'll probably never see her again, I gather the strength to meet her gaze. "I just... I, uh, I don't know what to do anymore."