.V.

Present, 2024.

Still in a daze of the day before's events and appraisals that she received after the interview, Jiya goes through her college website looking at all positive as well critic comments she has gained. Most of them were supportive, yet few were disturbing. Sighing, she places her phone on the table and sips on her coffee, looking out from the balcony.

How much ever she liked this new house of hers, she missed her father's old country home. The fresh air, the bright sun rays, the beautiful stream, the high mountains, everything mesmerized her, when she was a child. And when she wanted to soar above the clouds, reach greater heights, she had to leave that peaceful abode. Also, because her father wanted time for himself and didn't wanted to be burdened by a child's responsibility.

"Hey! You're still up?" Jiya's roommate and childhood bestfriend, Harry asks.
"Yep. Watching the view." She smiles and pats the space beside her. He chuckles and settles beside her, dragging a blanket with him.
"What's with your mood? Why is heavy melancholy oozing out from your eyes?" He dramatically states as Jiya smacks his arm.

"I was thinking about Hawkshead." She sighs and looks at him, and finds him intently gazing at her. This right there. The feeling that wraps around her, warmth, care, and love, which reminds her of her hometown.
"Careful, I might think you've fallen in love with me." She giggles as Harry shakes his head, a red tint spreading across his cheeks.
"What about Hawkshead? Want to visit?" He asks.

"I can't label it. I had a conversation with Abir, as you know, and I spoke about my parents and stuff. So, I just, I'm having flashbacks, or you can call, I'm missing that peaceful atmosphere." She explains about the gnawing feeling in her heart.
"That's exactly what I questioned, love. Want to visit?" Harry giggles again that irks Jiya. How easily he understands her! And that darn nickname. It's a given as Harry is British.

"Accha! Ab to aap aise pukarte ho, aapka kya jaa raha hai! Mujhe hi to tarasna padta hai." She exclaims in Hindi and laughs holding her stomach looking at Harry's expression.
"I'll learn that damn language one day woman." He states.
"You sure? Because I'll defenitely fall in love with you then." She confirms catching for a breath.
"Can't blame you tho. I'm irresistible." He winks.

"Ewww! Get off me." She pushes him aside and moves towards the bedroom.
"Ji! Tell me if you change your mind. I'll talk to professor about leave." Harry mentions about visiting the village.
"Will do. Thanks Styles." She smiles as Harry groans.
"Just because my name's Harry doesn't mean I'm Mr.Styles." He grunts, totally annoyed.
"You're my Mr.Styles. Don't even argue on that." Jiya warns.

"Sure ma'am." He bows as Jiya shakes her head smiling widely.

Is this the feeling Abir was describing about? Is this love?

2019, Pembroke Castle, UK.

"You had one single job! Seriously!" Mishti groaned as she saw the papers.
"I'm, I'm sorry ma'am but-"
"Just stop fumbling. Proof read it again and hand me the document by tomorrow. Or else consider you're free from the job." She spat and threw the file. Instead of handling it smoothly, she grew angrier by the second.
"Calm down there, crazy pants!" Another addition to her irritation, Mishti mused.

"Can't you take a hint and stay away?" She questioned.
"Can't you understand that some people really want to offer help?" He retorted.
"Ofcourse. Here you are, Mr.Rajvansh, free therapist, who knows jack shit about what he's dealing with." Abir chuckled and sat directly infront of her. The evening rain had cooled the atmosphere but not her temper.
"Sometimes I think, you're the reason god created middle finger." Mishti gasped.

"Oh my god! Was that a witty response from the idiot Abir? Well here's one for you. I know you're gonna go far some day." She smiled as Abir grinned too.
"And I hope you stay there and don't return." Mishti's words brought nothing but a hearty chuckle from him.
"You're good at this." Abir stated.
"Thank you for the recognition. I was dying for it." Mishti mocked that earned a scowl from him.

"I'd give you a nasty look but you've already got one. Cut the crap Mr.Therapist. Why are you really here?" Mishti asked.
"Uh-uh. So this is how you get your helpers quit. Ask them about their agenda and fulfil it so that they can you leave alone, peacefully." He answered smirking.
"Yep. You are a mind reader. Got that." She replied shaking her head.
"Thank you. That's awfully cute coming from someone like you." His words might have stung her but she masked with the cold expression.

She had to face him. After what she had told, or rather accused him for her accident, this was her way of apologising. By letting him continue with the job. Since Abir didn't wanted to have the "blame" conversation, Mishti had decided to drop it. And now she had to listen to him rambling about giving a chance. To life or to him, she didn't understand.

"What are your plans for today then?" He asked.
"Avoid you. And visit my room for a nice sleep session." She nonchalantly expressed, looking at her tablet.
"Liar. I know you have insomnia." Abir mumbled.
"What I suffer and don't, has nothing to do with you, according to your job description." She said irritated.
"Then what's my job, boss?" He mocked.

"Proofread this." Mishti passed the tablet and Abir caught it in the air.
"And report the mistakes and corrections. In an hour." She smirked as it was impossible to read the article and point out the flaws within an hour.
"What will I get in return?" He wiggled his eyebrows.
"Whatever you want." Mishti shrugged, confident about her judgement about him.
"Alright. Be ready to step outside this mansion." He smiled.

2 hours later

Mishti sighed again looking at the open green field, stretched infront of her mansion. She had lost. Ofcourse. What she didn't expect was how he had managed to do it in such a short span of time, when her assistants were dying with a headache to do the same work.

"Are you really an alien?" She questioned.
"Seriously? It was no big deal." He shrugged.
"No really! How could you do it?" Mishti curiously questioned.
"I have a master degree in English literature. Ofcourse I should be able to do this much. One hour was still, a very long time." Abir replied throwing a pebble near the small lake that occupied a prominent space behind the castle.

"You're a literature student and you're assisting a cripple? What is your story Abir Rajvansh?" Mishti chuckled earning a smile from him.
"I might look like an idiot but I'm not. There's always a reason behind my actions." He showed off.
"Done with your saint speech? Why did you bring me out?" She feigned irritation though she loved the fresh air and the slight drizzle that adorned her cheeks.

"This was a baby step. We'll challenge each other and do things to bring us out of our comfort zone." He said simply.
"And when you mean us?" Mishti looked at him.

"You're not the only one with a broken body part, and a past Ms.Maheshwari."

Present

Abir sighs sitting exactly at the same spot, throwing pebbles at the lake, reminiscing the exact moment, when he had gained an impression from The Mishti Maheshwari. He smiles involuntarily, not noticing someone's presence behind him.

Kuhu looks at her brother-in-law, various emotions clouding her thoughts. How much she wished she could do something for him! But everytime she tried to talk about his past or anything about this castle's ownership that he fought so much for, Abir would chicken out. Yet she did not give up.

Kuhu smiles as she plans a day out with him, Kunal and Amisha. And finally, she could get the truth out of him that day.

She would definitely.

To be continued