Before Colton Met Iris

Voting for the People's Choice Award is MONDAY, AUGUST 1ST, 2016 on Twitter. If you'd like to support my story, simply tweet:

I nominate "Expiration Date Duology" #MyWattysChoice

It's important to include DUOLOGY. You can also retweet other votes and vote as much as you'd like. Thank you! My Twitter handle is MikaelaBender.

This is a short story for one of Wattpad's Romance contests. Enjoy. Oh and the title for the sequel is Expired. Theories for the sequel?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is what? The eighth desperate girl?

Without moving my head, I glance at my brother who observes with a cold expression the ballroom with its swaying dresses and laurel wreaths glistening in the light of the chandeliers. Really it is rather an impressive dancing hall. I still miss the one at the old estate, though. Why did Erik have to go and kill that doomed girl?

Oh yes, doomed girls.

I turn my attention back to the girl smiling at me before my throne.

"Are you looking for a dance, Mister Blackwood?" She folds her hands in front of her red toga-like dress.

I resist the urge to roll my eyes, but I notice my sister, Gwen, does. I take a deep breath. "No. And even if I were, I would never lower myself to dance with a girl as hideous in looks and desperate for male attention as you."

The girl's face pales and with a quick curtsey she rushes away. My brother tries his hardest to contains his smile and chuckle.

"Red was not her color," my sister comments absentmindedly, her nose turned upward. "I rather enjoyed that show, Colton. I should try it on the next sorry lout who thinks him worthy enough to dance with the Preeminence's daughter."

"Jonas," I turn only my head, keeping my hands on the armrests, "might I be excused from this tedious party?"

My brother studies my face, his chin held high. "If it is what you wish." His eye close and his shoulders sag for only a second, and then he waves me off.

I steal away from the ballroom, avoiding the coy looks from the non-Society women. The hallways are empty, everyone enjoying the ball. I push open one of the sets of French doors and let the cool air clear my head as I walk into the hedge maze.

Beta. Sighing, I run my hand through my hair and shake my head. I'll be the best. I'll make my brother proud.

"Gggaaaahh!"

My head snaps up, and I hurry through the bends and twists of the maze, stopping at the fountain. Two lamp posts are the only source of light to see by. They cast their glow on a girl sprawled in the fountain.

She looks toward me, shaking her head at herself and laughing slightly. "Mind giving me a hand?"

I approach her, curious. "I must ask, how did you manage this?" I gesture with my hand to her and then the fountain, before holding it out to her.

"I thought I could balance on the ridge." She takes my wrist, and as I pull her up she receives a better look at my face.

And...she lets go, falling back down into the water, splashing me. She covers her face with her hand. "You're Colton Blackwood."

"Yes, I am."

She groans. "Don't look at me. I'm humiliated."

I allow myself to smile slightly and take her hand, pulling her to her feet. Her soaked blonde hair has traces of sagging waves and when's she removes her hand I can tell her eyes are dark-probably blue. And they're staring at me, wide-eyed.